Post Haste

Post Haste: See which MLB team territory sends the most in-state students to OU's Athens campus

The Cincinnati Reds have 46 Ohio counties where a plurality of fans root for them. Those counties send more than 11,000 students to OU's Athens campus.

Good morning. Here’s what you need to know for Monday, April 4, 2016:

Baseball’s Opening Day means different things depending on who you ask. Maybe it's the sights and tastes of the ballpark, or maybe it's rooting for your team as its players start the long path toward post-season.

Ohioans generally seem to support four MLB teams: The Cincinnati Reds, Cleveland Indians, Detroit Tigers and Pittsburgh Pirates. That’s according to Facebook data, which The Post cross-referenced with Ohio University’s 2014 enrollment statistics to see which fan territory produces the most in-state students at the Athens campus.

The Post could only immediately access county-by-county enrollment data for Ohio, so apologies to out-of-staters who might root for far-flung teams like Boston Red Sox or Chicago Cubs. 

Of the 88 counties in Ohio, 34 have pluralities of residents who associate themselves with the Cleveland Indians, while 46 are home to fans who predominantly root for the Cincinnati Reds. The Pittsburgh Pirates can claim two counties, and the Detroit Tigers have six.

From those counties, the enrollment breakdown looks like this:

Cheers to Reds fans. The 46 Reds-controlled counties sent 11,123 students to OU’s Athens campus in Fall 2014 — well more than half of the nearly 18,000 in-state students in total.

Will that translate to success on the diamond this year? One Post sports reporter says the team will be lucky to win 71 games this season.

Interested in getting Post Haste sent directly to your email address each morning? Register here.

Weather

70 percent chance of morning rain and a high of 55. Yuck. (Courtesy of Scalia Lab)

News

• OU’s vice president for finance has switched jobs. (The Post)

• The Athens International Film and Video Festival starts today. (The Post)

• There was a local meth bust late last week. (The Post)

Scores and Game Times

Interesting weekend on the diamond. The softball team played in snow away at Ball State and were swept, and the baseball team lost a game in 40 to 50 mph winds.

You might also want to know …

Kanye West’s The Life of Pablo launched into streaming services like Spotify. (USA Today)

Two people died in an Amtrak train crash Sunday near Philadelphia. (Reuters)

For more global news, check out The New York Times' daily briefing.

Athens bar specials

Pawpurr’s Bar: Half-off drinks from 8-9 p.m.

The Pub: $1.50 domestic pints.

Tony’s: $2.25 well drinks and free peanuts.

Red Brick Tavern: $1 well drinks and domestics from 6-9 p.m.

Courtside Pizza: $5 Bud Lite pitchers from 4-9 p.m.

@Pete_Nakos96

pn997515@ohio.edu