Taylor Saxton runs toward first base during Ohio University’s game against the University of Kentucky.

Softball: Bobcats lose to Kent State in extra innings

Ohio ace Savannah Jo Dorsey got pulled after allowing three earned runs in the fourth inning, and Ohio lost in extras in the final game of the conference series with Kent State.

The Bobcats were in unfamiliar territory.

Ohio was in the field in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, facing runners at second and first. And instead of all eyes being on the Bobcats' ace Savannah Jo Dorsey, the glares fell on sophomore pitcher Danielle Stiene.

Despite coming in mid-game and throwing four scoreless innings, Stiene and the Bobcats fell apart late in extras to lose 5-4 against Kent State in the third game of a Mid-American Conference series.

Ohio did, however, have the batters it wanted in the top of the ninth with one out.

Taylor Saxton, who singled in the top of the seventh and eventually scored on a bases-loaded walk to push the game into extras, grounded out to short.

Then, Deanna Cole singled up the middle with two outs, but she was thrown out while attempting to steal second. Both Cole and Saxton finished 3-for-5.

In the bottom half of the ninth, the Flashes infielder Maddy Grimm got a hit off of Stiene and led off with a single. Following a foul out and a fielder’s choice that eliminated Grimm at second, Stiene had a chance to close out the inning.

After a walk, Kent catcher Erika Warren recorded her first hit of the game with a single up the middle, bringing in infielder Shelbi Tilton from second.

The Bobcats will want to put this conference loss behind them, as will possible MAC Player of the Year candidate Dorsey, who was yanked out of the game in the fourth inning.

Dorsey began the inning by walking the first batter she faced. Then, after a fielder’s choice and an error, Dorsey proceeded to throw a passed ball, which sent a Kent runner in to make it 3-2.

It didn’t get any better from there.

Dorsey hit the next Kent batter and then gave up a walk and a single to right field, giving the Flashes a 4-3 lead.

The Bobcats and Dorsey will look to bounce back this weekend against MAC opponent Akron in a home, three-game series at Ohio Softball Field.

nk596613@ohio.edu

@NKairys