Redshirt junior pitcher Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches during a game against Akron at the Ohio University Softball Field April 16. The Bobcats have advanced to the next round of the MAC Tournament with a win over Western Michigan.

Softball: Dorsey gives up hit on potential final out perfect game

Ohio took two of three games from rival Miami over the weekend with 3 games that ended 2-1.

Ohio (28-20, 9-8 MAC) reversed its recent streak of bad bounces and tough breaks in close games over the weekend at Miami (26-19, 11-5 Mid-American Conference) by taking two of three games from the top team in the MAC East. 

All three games were close and runs were at a premium throughout the weekend. The doubleheader on Saturday yielded a pair of 2-1 scores, one win for each team. 

In the series finale, Ohio was its own worst enemy. Both runs that Miami scored were unearned.

Ohio was able to overcome their first mishap with an RBI double in the top of the sixth from left fielder Jamie Wren. But, a dropped fly ball from Ohio shortstop Mackenzie Brunswick allowed the eventual deciding run to score.

In game one of the doubleheader, Ohio pitcher Danielle Stiene had her fingerprints all over a 2-1 Ohio victory. 

Not only did Stiene pitch three and 2/3 innings, allowing one run on two hits with six strikeouts. She also hit a solo home run to tie the game immediately after allowing her only run of the day. 

Wren gave Ohio the lead in the top of the sixth inning with an RBI double to score Cooper. From there, Savannah Jo Dorsey finished her strong game as a reliever by holding down Miami in the sixth and seventh. 

Dorsey threw three and 1/3 innings, allowing no runs on two hits while striking out five. 

"I was extremely proud of my pitching staff for holding down the top offensive team in the conference,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. 

On Friday, the first of the three 2-1 games over the weekend went to Ohio.

Ohio broke the scoreless tie in the top of the fourth inning with an RBI single from first baseman Casie Hutchinson. 

Ohio added an insurance run in the top of the seventh thanks to an RBI double from Dorsey, her first hit of the season.

Dorsey had a perfect game with two outs in the seventh. But Miami refused to become a part of Ohio's history books. 

Miami outfielder Taylor Schuey hit a solo home run to break up Dorsey's perfect game and shutout all in one swing. Then, infielder Johnianna Wahl hit a double and advanced on a wild pitch. 

What started off as a potential historic performance was beginning to look like disaster until Ohio center fielder Deanna Cole made a leaping catch to end the game. 

Ohio got its mojo back in close games over the weekend against Miami. The series could have been a sweep if it weren't for a pair of errors in the series finale. 

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="4876c7d8-0770-11e6-aae3-9f96b7c8c195"}}

The bats weren't super lively, but they were timely, and that is what Hermanek has been looking for from her team lately. 

"I was really proud of our offense for stringing some hits together with runners in scoring position," Hermanek said. 

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu