Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches the ball during Ohio University’s game against the University of Kentucky on March 29 at the Ohio University Women’s Softball Complex. 

Softball: Dorsey hopes to keep hot streak against Kent State

Savannah Jo Dorsey has been the best pitcher in the Mid-American Conference, and with her in the circle, the team is consistent.

Ohio is in a bind. 

But with consistency means predictability, and Ohio has been predictably good recently. Picked to win the MAC in a preseason poll, the Bobcats are growing in comfortability, especially with Dorsey pitching. 

But is that too predictable?

That's what coach Jodi Hermanek is trying to figure out Wednesday as Ohio plays at Kent State.

"We can’t be predictable and stick with the same routine," the coach said. 

Yet, that routine is working. 

"Pitching wise, for us, we just need to know that we threw great games against them. ... We have to make sure that we continue to throw the kitchen sink at some of their big hitters to keep them off balance.”

Hermanek and her team are on a four-game win streak, following the sweep of Toledo this past weekend.  

Prior to Toledo, Ohio beat Kent State twice last Tuesday and scoring wasn’t a problem. The Bobcats gave up three runs, total, in both games and Dorsey had a career day.

She became the winningest pitcher in program history with 56 wins and has 58 going into Wednesday. She also pitched both games of the double-header and recorded 23 strikeouts.

In those two games, Dorsey also recorded the most strikeouts and shutouts of any pitcher in program history. 

She wants to focus on better pitch placement to give up fewer hits, or namely, home runs. 

She now wants to focus better placing her pitches so she gives up fewer home runs off her hits.

“I know that Kent State — they’re a very good hitting team and they hit home runs," Dorsey said. "They don’t do a lot of small ball."

One thing that will help Dorsey on Wednesday is staying focus.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="d9d3f0ca-fb5e-11e5-995f-e32589391c98"}}

Hermanek said she just wants her team to come out and try and repeat what it did last week. Preparation is about focusing mentally.

Hermanek knows her team can physically handle Kent State, but not making mental errors is what will give Ohio the edge. 

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu