Savannah Jo Dorsey pitches the ball during Ohio University’s game against the University of Kentucky on March 29 at the Ohio University Women’s Softball Complex. 

Softball: Hermanek willing to ride Dorsey in three-game series against Toledo

The Bobcats have no fear in allowing Savannah Jo Dorsey (16-8) to pitch multiple times in any given series. 

She’s the go-to, the ace, the one name seared in opponents heads, and she never stops.

Savannah Jo Dorsey knows the drill. She’s up again.

She scoops up her glove, emerges from the dugout and methodically jogs to the circle. She’s never exhausted, either. Just ready to face another conference opponent.

And again this Friday and Saturday, Dorsey will be called on to face the Toledo Rockets in an away, three-game series after winning two complete games in a doubleheader this past Tuesday against Kent State.

She has won more games as a pitcher than anyone else. 

“Hopefully a good (boost) to propel us forward into Toledo,” Dorsey said after back-to-back MAC wins. “It was good to kind of shake off the dust of Ball State and just get into winning again.”

Not as if Dorsey doesn’t know what winning feels like, though. She now sports a record of 16-8 with a 1.76 ERA this season.

And although Ohio has a worthy secondary pitcher in Danielle Stiene, it makes sense to go back to Dorsey inning after inning. Especially if she consistently can produce in multiple game scenarios, when every Mid-American Conference win is crucial.

“It’s about putting your best on the field,” Ohio coach Jodi Hermanek said. “And Dorsey has been serving it for us. Danielle’s got her back but at the same time Savannah does what she does and that’s what we needed.”

With Ohio and Toledo in middle-of-the-pack scenarios in their respective divisions and both teams coming off early week sweeps, the Bobcats will need Dorsey to fight multi-game fatigue once again.

Dorsey is tied for first in the MAC in most appearances (28) and has tallied 15 complete games on the year.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="512a0234-fb7f-11e5-a7c5-13687cc87e05"}}

“Every single series is gonna be a battle,” Hermanek said. “That’s one of the things we’ve preached constantly in MAC play. It doesn’t matter if you’re the last team on the list or the first team on the list, you gotta come out and you gotta win.”

@NKairys

nk596613@ohio.edu