Madison Claytor prepares to throw the ball toward first base during Ohio University’s game against the University of Kentucky on March 29 at the Ohio University Women’s Softball Complex. The Bobcats have moved to the next round of the MAC Tournament after a win against Western Michigan.

Softball: Ohio has road series against rival Miami

Ohio needs to focus on scoring early to get past rival Miami in weekend road series. 

After consecutive doubleheaders this week, Ohio has won just one game in the last six games. Of the last six games, only one was decided by more than one run. That has been a pattern all season for the Bobcats.

Scoring early needs to be Ohio’s focus going into the weekend series against Miami. The Bobcats play the RedHawks on Friday at 3 p.m. and then a doubleheader Saturday at 1 p.m.

Starting Strong Early

A stronger start early in the game could lead to more runs being scored on Ohio’s end.

In each of its last five losses, the opposition has scored first and either held the lead or retained the lead at the end of the game.

In Ohio’s last two wins, it has scored first. The Bobcats can score, it’s more of scoring when they need to.

Defense

Ohio’s defense is impressive. Against some of the best talent in the country, fielding has not been a problem for Ohio this season. There have been some problems with pitching consistency, but in terms of making the play, Ohio has that part of the game down.

The Bobcats rank high in the conference in fielding percentage. Whether it’s fielding a deep hit in the outfield or making an infield out, Ohio has consistently been able to stop the opposition from advancing around the bases. The problem is when pitches become predictable.

Coach Jodi Hermanek has talked about focusing on making the pitches less hittable. A lot of that is also determined by the umpires. Some umpires favor the outside of the plate and others don’t.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="b7f7baa2-0718-11e6-a577-8f96c69e947b"}}

So between getting on base early and often and cleaning up the pitching, Ohio has plenty to focus on against Miami. This road matchup against Miami won’t be easy. The RedHawks are first in the Mid-American Conference. Though they are on a three-game losing streak, they are also 10-5 at home. Ohio is just 7-8 on the road.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu