Olivia Mayfield lands in the sand as she competes in long jump. Ohio University held it's annual track and field meet in Athens, Ohio on Saturday, April 4, 2015. 

Track and Field: Ohio welcomes visiting competition for All-Ohio Outdoor Championship

Ohio hosts its second meet of the season, though weather may affect it again. 

Life doesn’t always go your way and that much is evident for the Bobcats this weekend.

Ohio coach Clay Calkins said following the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invite last weekend, he hoped for better weather at the All-Ohio Invite this weekend. The forecast, however, calls for a high of 43 and a possibility of snow flurries.

It is the second of three events Ohio will host this season. 

The meet will continue, as NCAA track and field events only will cancel due to lightning or extreme conditions, which a light snowfall does not fulfill the requirements for. 

Volunteer coach Ian Klein has tabbed the 4x400 relay team, which currently holds the indoor school record for that event, to break the outdoor record during the spring season.

“I think it’ll happen once the weather breaks,” he said. “That might not be this weekend.”

Other Bobcats have been improving, too, despite the frigid weather hitting Athens. 

Caroline Hildebrand and Taylor Smith are coming off big victories in the 5,000-meter run and high jump, respectively.

At the Ohio Cherry Blossom Invitational, Hildebrand ran a time of 18:15.90 in the 5,000-meter run, good enough for first place in the event. Smith earned first place in the high jump with a 1.65-meter jump.

Both are scheduled to compete in both events again this weekend.

The Bobcats will also face a bump in competition, with Ohio State coming to town. Other non-Mid-American Conference foes include Dayton and Xavier.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="db473a50-f9bc-11e5-9abd-631e71e9db94"}}

It will be the first scored meet of the outdoor season for the Bobcats.

“Its nice to see how you fare against top competition,” Calkins said.

@WHarmon18

wh298914@ohio.edu