The Union Bar and Grill has made a new bar out of scorched wood salvaged from the fire. The business plans to open soon as construction on Union Street is completed. 

Union Bar and Grill expected to open soon; West Union construction is now 'vertical'

Recent posts from The Union’s Facebook page said the business intends to re-open its doors April 17.

Beginning with the re-opening of the Union Bar and Grill, plans to revitalize West Union Street are being executed about a year and a half after a portion of the block was destroyed by a fire.

Recent posts from the Union’s Facebook page said the business intends to re-open its doors April 17, but folks are “just gonna have to wait a little bit longer!”

Alex Couladis, the co-owner of the Union’s building at 18 W. Union St., said the remodel of the structure is nearly complete.

“We had hoped to have all the final inspections done this week, which means that the bar owners would make the final renovations,” Couladis said. “I think there's some talks about it being opened in the next couple of weeks, but there’s no guarantee.”

Eric Gunn, owner of the Union, said a few minor details need to be worked out before another official announcement is made. The establishment is in the hiring process, he said.

“We still don't have a date yet,” Gunn said. “We're still waiting to get occupancy, and then we have to take care of the liquor license getting turned back on.”

Gunn said, however, the opening of the bar is “imminent” and “down to weeks instead of months.”

“We’re getting closer every day. We’re working every day,” he said. “I hope we can announce the date shortly.”

Next to the Union at 14 1/2 and 16 W. Union St., construction has gone vertical. Guy Phillips, who owns the properties, said the new buildings will feature a restaurant and apartments. Kismet, a fashion boutique, occupied 16 W. Union St. before the fire. 

“The space that we have at 14 (and) 16 is going to be ... a restaurant, and it’s high quality,” Phillips said. “There’s also gonna be four (separate) four bedroom apartments.”

As for which restaurant specifically will occupy the space, Phillips is “going to let them make the announcement.”

Phillips anticipates the buildings will open in time for Fall Semester, but he is holding back on leasing the apartments in case there are construction delays.

“The timetable, we are still pushing for fall ... but that’s a high risk,” he said. “I have not leased out the apartments because I don’t want to students to lease them, and not have them ready when they come back in the fall.”

@Jonny_Palermo

jp351014@ohio.edu