Hocking Hills State Park is located about an hour away from Ohio University and is a popular spot for students to visit for hiking and camping. The 38th annual Hocking Hills Indian Run will take place in the park Saturday. 

Finding fun away from Athens

Several places near Athens offer options for small day trips to suit all interests.

Although there are several places on campus and Uptown to explore when you need a break from homework, leaving campus entirely offers the opportunity to try something new. There are several options near Athens for small day trips to suit all interests:

Strouds Run State Park

If you want to get away from campus but still want to stay close to Athens, Strouds Run State Park offers several outdoor activities with a 15 minute drive away from campus.

You can go for an hour to enjoy a picnic with friends and take in the natural scenery, or you can make a day of it and take advantage of the many recreational activities that Strouds Run offers, such as fishing, hiking, swimming or biking. Described by the Ohio Department of Natural Resources as “a unique wilderness escape”, Strouds Run offers the perfect opportunity for a brief but relaxing getaway from the stress of school.

Lake Hope State Park

ODNR describes Lake Hope State Park, part of Zaleski State Forest in nearby McArthur, Ohio, as “a natural paradise” and “one of Ohio’s most historic and scenic state parks." Lake Hope is another outdoor option for off-campus adventures, but it is farther removed from campus, approximately a 30-minute drive away, and offers more activities than Strouds Run does. Take a small day trip to enjoy the scenery, fish, swim and explore the remnants of the coal mines and iron furnaces, or to learn about the history surrounding Lake Hope State Park. Lake Hope also offers several trails for hiking, bicycling and backpacking, as well as the opportunity for wildlife watching. If you enjoy the day trip and have the money to spare, you can rent a cottage or cabin for a weekend getaway. 

Hocking Hills State Park

Perhaps the most well-known destination in the area, Hocking Hills offers something for everybody. Hit the Hocking River with a two-hour canoe or kayak trip, or borrow a raft or tube for a more laid-back float. Explore the Hocking State Forest on horseback or by ATV, or take a plane ride for a different view of the area. Hocking Hills is also ideal for hiking, with acres of forest and plenty of natural scenery, as well as several caves for visitors to explore, including the well-known Old Man’s Cave. Ziplining is one of Hocking Hills’ most popular attractions and visitors can take several different zipline tours of the area.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="7aeab4ae-0e7d-11e6-8452-4724a48f05ed"}}

Lancaster

If you prefer exploring a city to exploring a forest, Lancaster offers a more city-oriented experience. Approximately a one-hour drive from Athens, Lancaster is home to the River Valley Mall, which offers several stores that are not available near campus. Target and Best Buy also have Lancaster locations, as do several restaurants that are absent from Athens, including Raising Cane’s and Five Guys Burgers and Fries. Aside from national chains, Lancaster also offers numerous independent stores and local shopping opportunities, so if you need anything that isn’t available in Athens, chances are, you can find it in Lancaster.

@AliciaHopkins__

ah828712@ohio.edu