Donkey Coffee and Espresso, located on 17 West Washington Street.

Go-to guide to coffee shops in Athens

Here is a list of all the places to buy coffee and tea in Athens and Ohio University.

Athens has several coffee shops in walking distance of campus to fuel anyone’s caffeine addiction. Each coffee shop is unique and offers different beverages. Here are the ins and outs of coffee in Athens.

Local coffee shops

1. Donkey Coffee and Espresso

Donkey Coffee and Espresso, located at 17 W. Washington St., is an Athens favorite. It offers fair trade coffee and a relaxing ambience perfect for studying. It's open from 7 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Saturday. On finals week, Donkey is open 24 hours a day, making this a No. 1 study spot.

2. Court Street Coffee

Court Street Coffee, 67 S. Court St., offers flavored mochas and lattes. Court Street Cafe is open 7 a.m. to 9 p.m. weekdays, 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Fridays,  8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Saturdays and 8 a.m. to 9 p.m. Sundays.

3. Fluff Bakery and Catering

Fluff Bakery, 8 N Court St.,  serves Silver Bridge Coffee, which comes from a company of the same name based in Columbus. Some special drinks include the Toddy, a cold-brewed espresso, and the Traincatcher, a mocha mixed with cold espresso.

4. Whit’s Frozen Custard/Perks

Located at 49 S Court St. (on the corner of Court and West Union streets), Whit’s serves custard and special sundaes along with coffee.

Forest Howland, a freshman studying integrated media, said Whit's is his favorite coffee shop in Athens.

“It’s got that real natural feel to it,” Howland said. “They’ve got couches in there. They also serve ice cream, and they probably have the best locally brewed coffee there.”

5. Brenen’s Coffee Cafe

Brenen’s, 38 S Court St., makes sandwiches and paninis as well as offers specialty drinks such as the Milkyway, which is espresso, caramel syrup and steamed chocolate milk, and the Peppermint Patty, an espresso drink with creme de menthe syrup and steamed milk.

Ohio University-run Coffee shops

At all of OU cafes, students can use their Flex Points and Bobcat Cash.

1. The Front Room Coffeehouse

Front Room, located in Baker University Center, is the closest thing to Starbucks on campus. Students frequent Front Room to do homework, have small meetings and sip on coffee. Front Room is open 7 a.m. to 10 p.m. Monday through Thursday and later on Friday and Saturday.

2. Café Bibliotech

Located in Alden Library, Cafe Bibliotech can provide late-night energy boosts while students study at the library. Serving Seattle's Best coffee, Cafe Bibliotech is open daily from 7:30 a.m. to 2 a.m.

Carl Blatnik, a junior studying exercise physiology, said Cafe Bibliotech is his favorite because he likes to purchase Arizona iced tea.

“It’s convenient for being in the library,” Blatnik said.

3. OU-HCOM SAF Café

Located in the Academic and Research Center, which is connected to Stocker Center on West Green, the OU-HCOM SAF Cafe also serves Silver Bridge Coffee and is open from 7:15 a.m. to 5 p.m.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="bc919d16-cb7d-11e5-9c1d-f723424a24ab"}}

4. South Side Espresso Bar

South Side Espresso Bar serves Starbucks Coffee and is in Nelson Commons, next to the Nelson Dining Hall. South Side is open from 7:30 a.m. to 12 a.m.

5. Steam Station Café

Selling Starbucks, the Steam Station Cafe is in the West Union Street Office Center and is open from 7:30 a.m to 4 p.m. It's about a 12-minute walk from Baker Center, according to Google Maps.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu