Coach Saul Phillips calls from the bench during a game against Western Michigan in the The Convo on Jan. 19. (FILE)

Men’s Basketball: Ohio’s exciting offense should continue in 2016

Led by third-year coach Saul Phillips, the Bobcats look to take the next step within the Mid-American Conference.

Open up Ohio’s roster, close your eyes and point. Whichever name your finger lands on will most likely electrify The Convo at some point during the 2016-2017 season.

Ohio has depth, experience and strong chemistry that will make the team a Mid-American Conference title contender in coach Saul Phillips' third year in Athens. 

Coming off a 23-12 season, the Bobcats scored an average of 79 points per game to lead the MAC last year, and ranked No. 51 in the nation. Its offense ranked No. 76 in the nation in adjusted offense, according to Ken Pomeroy’s analytics.

Expect the same this upcoming year.

Point guard Jaaron Simmons will return in his second season with the Bobcats after recording a record-breaking 275 assists, 12 more than the previous program record set by D.J. Cooper in 2011-12, in 35 games. Expect more of the same from the pass-first guard from Dayton.

Forward Antonio Campbell — last year’s MAC Player of the Year — returns after averaging a double-double per game thanks to a hybrid offense that blends a bruising post game with smooth 3-point shooting.

Campbell worked out with a few NBA teams this offseason, declaring for the 2016 NBA Draft in April, but did not sign an agent, keeping him eligible to return to the Bobcats. 

Second-year wing Jordan Dartis looks to bust more defensive zones after averaging almost 10 points per game on 48 percent 3-point shooting in the 2015-16 season. Dartis brings a slick shooting form to go along with clutch instincts.

The fourth starter to return to the Bobcats is forward Kenny Kaminski, a sharpshooter looking for redemption.

Kaminski averaged almost 13 points on 39 percent shooting for the Bobcats last year, a dip in his shooting percentages at Michigan State before he transferred (49 percent 3-point shooting).

The rest of Ohio’s roster includes veterans Khari Harley, Mike Laster, Gavin Block and Doug Taylor — all players active in the Bobcats 11-7 record within the MAC.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="f99c1544-0c99-11e6-8a89-e73f070fea1c"}}

Block, who played 18 minutes off the bench as a freshman last year, will likely receive more playing time during his sophomore campaign. Harley and Laster, meanwhile, will most likely bring defensive perimeter prowess off the bench.

It will also be the first time Ohio fans see the likes of Ellis Dozier — who redshirted his first year — and Jason Carter, an incoming freshman with a plethora of potential. Dozier could become another tweener for Ohio in his first year of playing, adding some depth and length.

Regardless of who is on the court for Phillips, it will be exciting season for Ohio.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu