Ohio University's campus accommodates outdoors-loving freshmen

Freshmen left without transportation are still able to feel close to nature thanks to OU’s scenic campus

Upon arriving at Ohio University, freshmen might not even be aware of the outdoors junkies that are inside of them. Beautiful nature trails, Strouds Run State Park and the Hocking River are just a few gems Athens has to offer to get students outdoors and out of the library for a much needed break.

However, it can be tricky for a freshman to be able to go to some of these places due to possible transportation issues. However, one of the many great things about a freshman’s new home for the next four (five, or six) years is that a person doesn’t even have to leave campus to feel close to nature.

The Ridges

There are many legends and stories surrounding the old insane asylum located just a short, ten-minute walk from campus. Even if experiencing a paranormal adventure isn’t the goal, The Ridges has some of the most beautiful hidden nature trails — perfect for an afternoon of exploring. 

The Bike Path

The Hockhocking Adena Bikeway is unlike other bike paths. Depending on which way the 21-mile path is followed, bikers can ride along the Hocking River or sight see a little of the Athens countryside.

“I really like the part of the bike path by O’Bleness where they have all of those trees,” Mikayla Erskine, a junior studying creative writing, said. “When they’re blooming they have a lot of shade so they’re nice in the summer, and it’s kind of fun at night. I’ll just go down there and dance.”

The Hocking River

The Hocking River snakes around the outer edge of campus and is home to an above-average amount of smallmouth bass. A fishing license is required, but they are inexpensive and easy to acquire. Information regarding fishing licenses can be found at Ohio Department of Natural Resource's Division of Wildlife. The river is also easily accessible for kayaks or canoes.

College Green

This last one might seem a bit obvious. Students will pass through it almost every day going to class, and they will see friends along the way doing the same. But to really appreciate the peacefulness of College Green, one needs to stop, lay out a blanket or hammock and let stress from the week leave while watching the squirrels go about the hustle and bustle of their daily lives.

Students such as Madeline Towery, a senior studying psychology, often use the green as a place to study or enjoy some lunch between classes.

{{tncms-asset app="editorial" id="fa024b66-109f-11e6-b807-cfd6ca9ca3a1"}}

“I personally just like being outside, and I like everyone else being outside with me,” Towery said. “There’s always people throwing frisbee and everything, and I just like the atmosphere.”

So while Athens County and surrounding areas have outdoor adventures waiting to be discovered, it isn’t essential to leave campus to find similar adventures. College goes fast, so students should get out of their dorm rooms instead of wasting time in Athens being stuck indoors.

@saruhhhfranks

sf084814@ohio.edu