Brenden Sano (4) pursues the quarterback in R. Basil Rutter Field on August 26th 2016 MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

High School Football: Athens picks up confidence-boosting win against Warren

Athens didn’t waste any time putting the outcome to bed.

On the first play from scrimmage, quarterback Treyce Albin connected with wide receiver Robert Dickelman for a 65-yard completion to get the team in the redzone. The drive later stalled out, but Athens would score on the next possession, the first of five straight scoring drives. Four plays later, the duo connected again on a 25-yard touchdown.

“Once we came out and got that first score, we could feel the energy build up,” safety Andy Kostival said.

The process repeated itself throughout the entire night, as the Bulldogs defeated Warren Local High School 41-0 on Friday at Athens High.

While Athens scored on five of its six first half possessions, Warren managed just one first down the entire half.

“We have a really solid defensive line,” Kostival said. “They were really able to get in the back field, and (the rest of us) stayed home when we were supposed to and filled our correct lanes.”

At halftime, it was apparent Athens had brought the intensity coach Ryan Adams was looking for all week.

“They did (bring the intensity),” Adams said. “I can’t wait to watch the film because I think we had 11 hats screaming at the ball most of the night.”

With a 34-0 lead entering the second half, Adams elected to leave Albin in the game while other starters were held out.

That is, until Albin needed medical attention after the first play. It ended up only being a cramp, but Adams wasn’t taking any chances.

“It was our intent if we were successful on that first series (in the second half), that we were going to be yanking everybody anyways,” Adams said. “But with the cramp and the holding penalty, it prevented us from being able to do that.”

Albin finished the game 12-for-13, with 209 total yards and four total touchdowns––three passing, one rushing––which was a drastic improvement from his nervous, erratic performance in the jamboree scrimmage.

The 41-0 final wasn’t a shock to many. Athens has won the Tri-Valley Conference four of the last five years, while Warren scored 34 total points in its winless 2015 season.

Nonetheless, it was a great confidence builder for a team with youth at some key positions ahead of a tough game against Canal Winchester next week.

“We know next week we’re in for a battle,” Adams said. “I think this win was very good for some confidence. Certainly a lot of good teaching we could do off of this film. But, they know they’ve got to continue to work very hard to get better, and I think they know that they can.”

Athens will be on the road next Friday at 7:30 PM.

@JAjimbojr

jw331813@ohio.edu