An OUPD vehicle is parked outside of Scott Quad. (JOSHUA LIM | FILE)

Athens Major Crime Unit uncovers evidence of drug trafficking at Washington Street residence

The Athens Major Crime Unit recovered evidence of drug trafficking, including marijuana, digital scales and more than $2,500 in cash, while serving a search warrant at an Athens residence Friday morning.

The unit obtained the warrant for 211 W. Washington St. as "just one part" of an investigation into drug trafficking among Ohio University students and young people in the Athens area, according to an Athens Major Crime Unit news release.

The Athens County Major Crimes Unit includes personnel from the Athens County Sheriff's Office, the Athens Police Department, the Nelsonville Police Department, the Logan Police Department and Ohio University Police Department.

The sheriff's office special response team, a tactical unit that responds to high-risk situations, initially secured the premises. Though information the unit gathered during a prior investigation indicated a firearm might be on the premises, the search did not locate one, according to the news release. The release states that a resident's concealed carry permit was revoked as a result of the investigation.

None of the residents were injured during the search, and "only minor property damage" occurred, according to the news release.

The unit interviewed four residents and one nonresident during its investigation and seized a vehicle, which had allegedly been used to deliver drugs, according to the news release.

The Athens Police Department and the major crime unit is still investigating the case and related cases, according to the news release.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu