College Gate under construction on Monday, August 1, 2016. (KAITLIN OWENS | FOR THE POST)

Class Gateway construction on College Green to be completed in October

A tunnel carrying heating and electrical items is being repaired as a part of the Class Gateway project

It can seem like construction projects are everywhere during the summer months — and Ohio University’s campus is no exception.

As students return to OU, they might notice quite a few updates and ongoing improvements.

Class Gateway on College Green has been undergoing renovation since Spring Semester as part of the “College Green Class Gate and Tunnel Project,” which is repairing a tunnel carrying heating and electrical items. Though the construction will continue into Fall Semester, OU officials plan for the project to be done earlier in the semester.

“We anticipate substantial completion of work on or about October 4,” Joe Lalley, senior associate vice president of Information Technologies and Administrative Services, said.

Lalley also said officials are planning a grand opening ceremony for the Saturday morning of Homecoming Weekend to celebrate the completion of the $1.7 million project.

“Rumor has it Rufus will be there, too,” Lalley said.

In another project, the university began restoration of the former site of the President Street Academic Center, laying sod and pouring sidewalk. That should be complete before students arrive on campus in August, Lalley said.

Park Place in front of Alden Library also is under construction for an Alden roof replacement project. The roof replacement is budgeted for $2,200,000 and will extend into the fall, though OU officials hope most of it will be done by the time students arrive.

Other roofing projects are underway including a $1,660,000 project on Morton Hall and a $2 million project on Clippinger Hall.

“(Students also) should notice that Cady-Foster-Brough is gone,” Lalley said, referencing the three South Green residence halls that were slated for demolition last summer, but high demolition estimates delayed the project, Pete Trentacoste, executive director of Housing and Residence Life, said in a previous Post report.

Lalley said students will see construction at Jefferson Hall as well when they return, as renovation of the dining hall continues.

The dorm portion of the building will receive an elevator for better access in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act and updated plumbing, electrical work and academic spaces.

Construction closer to Uptown has also progressed, he added, noting that the sidewalk on the north side of East Union Street will be open for pedestrian use, though the area will remain a construction zone through the fall.

Other projects include the renovation of West 82, which had a $2 million budget and intends to improve the efficiency of customer flow and traffic patterns within the venue, OU spokesperson Dan Pittman said in a previous Post report.

Smaller projects include renovations to the bathrooms of Boyd, James, Tiffin and MacKinnon Halls.

“We’ve got a lot of work going on this summer,” Lalley said.

@taymaple

tm255312@ohio.edu