Party-goers hang out on the front lawn of 101 Mill St. during the first few hours of Mill Fest on March 12, 2016. 

Students should begin search for off-campus housing early

Off-campus housing options tend to be picked over by late summer.

Even though some underclassmen may have just settled into their dorm rooms, it’s already time to start thinking about housing next year if they intend to live off campus.

Students should start thinking about new housing no later than the second week of Fall Semester, since most students choose to sign their leases by the end of August, Bryan Wharton, broker of University Off-Campus Housing, said.

Tiffany McPherson, office manager for Best of Athens Rentals, said by late summer and early fall the best housing options are often picked over.

“The hardest part was choosing a location that was right for all my roommates while factoring in costs,” said Anna Dirda, a sophomore studying communications, who signed a lease for an apartment in June.

People looking for a house or apartment need to think about their expectations for housing before signing a lease, Logan Stark, off-campus life commissioner for Student Senate, said.

“I suggest starting early, know who your roommates will be and find a price point you’re all comfortable with,” she said in an email. “Decide how far off campus you want to be, and don’t be afraid to ask questions.”

Some of the most common places students rent from are Palmer Place, River Park and Mill Street, Stark said. Each option has different monthly price points (starting around $400 and going up from there), square footage and transportation to consider.

After contacting a real estate agent and finding the right property, students should be prepared to sign a lease and pay a security deposit. McPherson said her primary piece of advice for new renters is to read and understand their lease before signing.

According to the Division of Student Affairs’ rental guide for off-campus living, it is important for students to understand the lease is a legal agreement between the renter and the property owner. The lease should provide important information, such as the dates you can move in and out, how much rent is and guest restrictions.

Barb Harrison, the assistant director of community engagement at the Campus Involvement Center, recommends students have an attorney from the Center for Student Legal Services review the lease. Students are charged a $12 fee every semester which grants them the services of the attorneys. She also suggests renters check the background of their potential landlord by contacting the Code Enforcement Office to see a property’s last rental inspection.

“It is also helpful to Google the name of your landlord to see if there are student reviews online that may help you determine if the landlord and property will be right for you,” Harrison said. “We also recommend visiting the Municipal Court web page to see if the landlord has been to court as a defendant and generally what the case involved.”

There are a number of ways students can make it easier on themselves to find housing. An off-campus housing fair is scheduled for 1 p.m. until 5 p.m. on Aug. 30 in Baker Center, and Stark added both she and Student Senate are always a resource. Additionally, realty companies can answer questions to help the process go as smoothly as possible.

“Look around and see where fits you best, because there are lots of good options,” Dirda said.

mc055914@ohio.edu

@maddiecapron