delfin bautista, director of the LGBT Center

Query a Queer: LGBT Center is ready to answer all questions about sexuality and gender identity

What is the difference between gender expression and gender identity? Why don’t we have a straight pride? Can LGBT people also be people of faith? What’s next in the struggle for equality? What order do the letters go in the acronym and what about the I, Q, P, A and others? What is the difference between “ally” and “accomplice?” Why is it necessary to have the “Query A Queer” column?

Understanding the ever-changing and evolving worlds of sexuality and gender can be overwhelming and confusing. The LGBT Center is committed to creating spaces on and off campus for conversations on sexual and gender diversities; our goal is to explain why “it's complicated” is the best answer we can give because it truly is complicated (and queertastically awesome!).

Often times the questions that people ask us lead to more questions more so than answers. I have come to realize that many people want a 1+1=2 situation when it comes to their questions about LGBT people, identities and issues; however the reality is that sexuality and gender are not linear, are not always predictable and are as dynamic as they are confusing.

At the center we are mindful that the world of sexuality, gender and queerness are constantly evolving. We recognize that identity is a messy place, but we also celebrate the dynamic conversations the confusion sparks. For instance, words like “dyke” and “queer” have been reclaimed by some within the community as terms of empowerment, redefining their historically negative meanings.

We can get married in all 50 states but can still be fired in over 30 states for identifying as LGBTQA. We are now starting to explore the nuances and spectrums of sexual orientation thanks to the affirmation of Asexual and Aromantic identities and experiences which historically were neglected and overlooked.

It's exciting to see the attention that Caitlyn Jenner and Laverne Cox are receiving and how this is pushing society to understand the differences between sexual identity, gender identity and gender expression—at the same time, however, it also overshadows the realities of violence and discrimination experienced by trans people, especially trans women of color.

This is just scratching the surface of sexuality and gender. It becomes even more expansive as we look at how these two aspects of human identity intersect with other aspects of identity, such as race, religion, ethnicity ability, sex, geographic location, etc.

Each week, the LGBT Center Staff will answer YOUR questions. This is your time to ask whatever it is you would like to know and/or better understand and/or have never had an opportunity to ask. We challenge you to not hold back; we will not take offense to any questions posed to us.

All questions are welcome and will be shared anonymously in print and in social media. Again, no question is off limits. If it’s problematic or inappropriate, our response will explain why it’s problematic and inappropriate.

We want this to be a space for ALL and welcome your questions, curiosities and queries whether you are a student, faculty, staff, alum and/or member of the community.

Send your questions: via email to lgbt@ohio.edu and/or oulgbtcenter@gmail.com and/or therainbowroomou@gmail.com; via Tumblr (oulgbtcenter); via Twitter to @oulgbtcenter with hashtag #qaqueer; or post/message to Facebook (oulgbtcenter). Questions may also be explored on our weekly radio show, the Rainbow Room, on ACRN.com.

So bring it on, do it to it, and query a queer.

delfin is the Director of the LGBT Center, faculty advisor to the Hispanic and Latino Student Union and Queers United In Protest, and adjunct lecturer for Women’s, Gender, and Sexuality Studies.