GoConqr is an app designed to aid students with studying by creating notes, quizzes, and mind maps. (SCREENSHOT GOCONQR)

Smartphone U: 7 Apps that could help your college experience this semester

It might be hard for some students to swing back into college. Luckily, some apps could help you this semester.

Intense studying, little sleep and early morning classes make for what some would call a rude awakening for students returning from a relaxing summer.

Here’s a list of some free apps for both iPhone and Android that could help you ease back into the groove of college, and maybe even help your grades.

1) GoConqr

Made by Examtime Limited, GoConqr is trying to be the ultimate learning app. It lets you create notes, quizzes and mind maps, which are visual notes created around one central idea that branches off into different ideas, that can help you organize class materials. It’ll also let you make study groups. The app helps you create organized, thorough notes and keeps them all in one place, which could make exam time a little less hectic. (Made by Examtime Limited)

2) Circle of 6

For women in college, walking home alone at night can be nerve-racking. Created by The Line Campaign, Circle of 6 lets you alert six predetermined friends that you need help and sends them your location via GPS. It also has a function that will send your friends a text asking them to call you.

3) Dragon Dictation

Whether you’re a journalism student who has hours of interviews to transcribe or a psychology major who recorded a particularly dense lecture, Dragon Dictation, made by Nuance Communications, will type up your voice recordings for you. It could save you hours when it comes to getting your notes together.

4) Todoist

It’s no secret that to-do lists help to keep you organized, but Todoist, made by Doist, lets you do so much more. You can access your to-do list from your phone or computer, and you can share and collaborate on lists with other people. Todoist could help you get all your work done and make sure your group project partners aren’t slacking off.

5) Exam Countdown

We’re all familiar with those people who set a vacation countdown or a clock counting down the days until the new season of Gilmore Girls airs on Netflix. How about counting down to that excruciating hour when you’ll have to take an exam? Although this exam countdown made by Ben Sheehan could have the opposite effect as a vacation countdown clock, it could really make you more motivated to study as you see the time you have left tick away.

6) Mint

In college, it’s easy to spend everything in your checking account in the first month back to school. With Mint, it’s a lot easier to keep track of your finances. Mint allows you to budget your money and make better financial choices.

@jess_hillyeah

jh240314@ohio.edu