Erin Franczak

ABCs of Greek Life: Changes in Women’s Panhellenic Association Formal Recruitment will create a better recruitment experience

This year, formal recruitment has changed in so many great ways to help create a better experience for potential new members. Although those changes may be different, they are meant to better focus the energy on a values based system.

The first major change was removing the Welcome Day videos that each chapter films and shows for the first day of recruitment. That aspect, although fun and exciting, takes away from the real reason for recruitment: to create bonds and friendship. That is why it is replaced with better conversations and the first step to those bonds of love and friendship. It also better resembles the “no frills” practices of the National Panhellenic Conference.

But, there may still be videos shown during recruitment just on another day. During Philanthropy Day, sororities will be focusing on the charity they work towards. The videos will show the importance of their cause and should come from a National Philanthropic Partner or the International or National Organization.

Another new change that is very exciting is Rho Gammas (recruitment guides) can now affiliate. Kristen Kardas, assistant director for Sorority and Fraternity Life, said they are often referred to as orientation leaders for the formal recruitment process.

In the past, Rho Gammas would have to disaffiliate themselves from their chapter. That means keeping potential new members from knowing which sorority they are a part of. That was due to concern of bias towards a certain sorority, and could potentially affect a new member’s decision. This year though, members can affiliate. A few reasons this was changed was because disaffiliation is stressful, time-consuming, and tended to focus on Rho Gammas rather than the potential members.

They can tell members what sorority they are in if they ask or not, but there is a lot of training that occurs beforehand that consists of values-based conversations, ethical behavior and empowerment that prepares them for this position. Kardas described them as “ambassadors for the entire community.”

The last change that is really interesting and exciting is changing house tour day to Sisterhood Day. Sororities are meant to focus on friendship and philanthropy. So instead of this just being a day that is simply showing where the women live, it is a day to focus on meeting more women. It helps in potentially creating longer friendships, and possibly seeing a glimpse or more of what the house looks like.

With or without those changes, formal recruitment is still a wonderful experience and one that any person can feel included in. Registration closed September 6th, but think about it for next year. It’s all about finding yourself and finding your family. Take a chance and always be willing to check out recruitment in the future. You won’t regret it. 

Sisterhood, philanthropy, and love; what could be better?

Erin Franczak is a sophomore studying journalism with a focus in news and information at Ohio University. What do you think of the changes to formal recruitment? Let Erin know by emailing her at f441614@ohio.edu.