Bloodhype (Maureen Neer) will headline a show at The Union on Saturday at 9 p.m. 

Bloodhype, an OU alumna, will headline show at The Union

The Saturday night show at The Union Bar & Grill is going to be a reunion and homecoming for some.

Bloodhype, The Francis Bacon Band, Totally Miguel and Nightstalker will be playing at The Union on Saturday with the doors opening at 9 p.m.

Maureen Neer graduated from Ohio University in 2011 with a degree in interior architecture, and moved to Chicago about three years ago. She started creating her project Bloodhype while she was still in Athens, but it developed more after she became involved with Chicago’s music scene. Neer considers her "melodic" project to be "spacey with patterns."

“Bloodhype has been my bedroom late night project,” Neer said.

Neer played with a few bands while in Athens, and did solo performances. She played at house shows and at the bars Uptown, including The Union.

“This will be my first time back — it’ll be a big deal for me,” Neer said. “The Union was like my home. It was a major loss when it got burned down so I’m super excited to play on the new stage.”

Chris Dodd, a general manager for The Union, said Neer was a fixture in the Athens music scene before her move.

Bloodhype was originally not planning on playing this Saturday's show, but after Neer reached out to a friend who will also be playing on Saturday, she was invited to play.

Bloodhype will be performing with the Chicago-based producer BRAINS, also known as Colin Mulhern.

“I’m a little nervous, it’s going to be a mostly improvised set,” Neer said. “You have to trust the person you’re playing with and I think it will go well.”

Neer, who was a part of the DIY community in Athens, became involved in the music scene in Chicago quickly after her move. In Chicago, she strived to find another a tight knit group.

“(Neer)’s been getting into a lot of electronic music and making beats,” Dodd said. “I think it’s great she’s coming back to town.”

Similar to Neer, The Francis Bacon Band has played in Athens before as well.

“It’s actually been a long time,” Jay Harmon, the singer and guitarist for The Francis Bacon Band, said. “We used to play in Athens a lot about five years ago.”

The Francis Bacon Band has been playing for about 10 years, but has taken a hiatus before, Harmon said. Mark Dutton has been the only other constant member in the band, but the current drummer, Troy Kunkler, graduated from OU after studying percussion.

The Francis Bacon Band plays folk rock music, but their sound is getting more experimental, Harmon said. The band will be playing music from its latest album Retreat and will have vinyl copies of one of its first albums Unsafe in Any Skin available.

“(Harmon) is very much into obscure bands,” Dodd said. “He’s a connoisseur for the avant-garde, and his music’s shaped like that.”

Totally Miguel’s music was described as “fun” and “weird” by Neer.

“There’s a lot of personality behind (his music), and it’s very easy to dance to,” Dodd said.

Neer and Harmon both said the show will be a lot of fun, and added that they are looking forward to playing in Athens.

“It’s going to be like a house show, but in a bar in town,” Dodd said. “This (show) is going to be the sort of nitty gritty other side of things.”

@lynanneclaire

lv586814@ohio.edu