Athens County Commissioners Charlie Adkins discuss issues during a meeting on September 20 at the Athens County Board of Elections. (DAWN JACOB | FOR THE POST)

County Commissioners approve improvements to Jobs, Family Services

In a quick meeting Tuesday morning, the Athens County Commissioners approved several measures to upgrade both the Department of Jobs and Family Services and the building that houses it.

Jobs and Family Services Director Bob Gallagher asked the commissioners if he could start an after-school program for local youth. He plans to start the program in Nelsonville and eventually implement it in Glouster.

"It's more for the kids who aren't getting involved in after-school sports and activities," Gallagher said, adding that it would be based on programs like the Gathering Place and would keep young people away from bad influences.

The program will be paid for by a refund the agency received on workers' compensation.

Gallagher also asked for a limited credit card with a value of no more than $5,000 for certain Jobs and Family Services purchases, like iPads. That was also approved.

At the end of the meeting, the commissioners approved a municipal lease to upgrade the Job and Family Services building, located on State Route 13 near Chauncey. Upgrades are scheduled to begin this winter with air conditioning and windows, with improved heating being added over the summer of 2017. 

The municipal bond allows the county to pay a year at a time and they can cancel the bond at any time. A cancellation would mean that all purchased items would have to be returned — in this case, air conditioning units and windows. But the commissioners were not worried about a scenario like that unfolding.

"I don't see why we wouldn't be able to (pay)," Commissioner Lenny Eliason said. The project will cost about $100,000.

Athens County Sheriff Rodney Smith requested more storage space for his department, which was also approved.

The only other visitor was County Planner Miranda Kridler, who came to get approval from the commissioners to do work Saturday on the Rail Trail — the county's railroad-turned-bikepath that follows the Hocking River toward Nelsonville. A group of volunteers will trim branches and clean up along the path. After the commissioners gave it the OK, she asked if any of them wanted to help.

"I can bring goats," Commissioner Chris Chmiel joked.

@torrantial

lt688112@ohio.edu