Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Intoxicated 61 year-old tumbles down embankment, Ping Center sees string of thefts

It turns out college students were not the only ones intent on living it up during the last unofficial week of summer.

As students shuffled between classes Wednesday afternoon, an OUPD officer was busy responding to a report of a 61 year-old man who fell down the embankment near the Athens Transit bus stop, next to Baker Center.

Upon reaching the man, the officer found that he was not only hurt from the fall, but under the influence of alcohol.

The individual was transported to O’Bleness Hospital, where he was treated for minor injuries sustained during the fall. According to the police report, he was later issued a citation for disorderly conduct by intoxication.

The incident was one of six alcohol-related arrests made by OUPD between Aug. 30 and the end of Sunday, during a week that also yielded six drug possession charges and two reports of criminal mischief.

The Great Ping Burglar

Over the course of three days, OUPD received four reports at Ping Recreation Center. In total, eight instances of theft were reported this week.

Two of the Ping Center thefts involved money being stolen from wallets that were in students' bookbags. In another report, a woman noted both her wallet and keys had been taken from an unsecured locker.

While one of the cases is under investigation, the remaining three are pending investigative leads, according to the report. It is not clear whether the cases are related.

South Green Shuffle

Early Saturday morning, an officer responded to a report of an intoxicated man who had passed out “partially in the roadway” of South Green Drive, according to the report.

Upon speaking with the man, the officer detected a “moderate odor” of alcohol, which was confirmed when the individual stated that he had been Uptown, consuming alcoholic beverages throughout the evening. The report also indicates that at the time, the man did not know where he was.

The officer arrested the man for underage consumption and sent him to the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail, according to the report.

A Trip for Two

Later that night, an officer responded to another situation on South Green — this time, to a report of a verbal argument between a male and female in Luchs Hall.

Upon arriving at the scene, the officer noted both parties smelled strongly of alcohol, had bloodshot eyes, slurred speech and were unsteady on their feet, according to a police report.

The officer arrested both individuals for disorderly conduct by intoxication, and the two were transported to Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail and kept there until they were sober.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu