Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Parking sign stolen from Game Day lot, consecutive drug charges occur at campus picnic tables

Correction appended.

For some, school spirit means simply attending the annual Homecoming game, only to leave after the Marching 110’s set has reached its end. For others, however, owning a piece of the action is of even greater importance — even if that piece of action is nothing more than a foldable sign from parking services.

Last week, a coordinator with parking services contacted the Ohio University Police Department to report that someone had stolen a tent-frame sign from a Game Day parking lot on Sept. 3, while the OU football team was squaring off against Texas State.

In a separate but similar report, the coordinator reported that two double-sided signs were taken on Sept. 10, while the Bobcats were halfway across the country, playing against Kansas University. It is currently unclear if the cases are directly related.

The reports were just two that were filed with OUPD during the week of Sept. 12 to 18, which also saw 13 drug charges, eight reports of theft, four alcohol-related charges, one vandalism report, two reports of disorderly conduct by fighting and a case of criminal mischief.

Incident at Crawford

Late Saturday night, officers responded to a complaint that a student “forcibly removed” another student's underwear in Crawford Hall “without privilege” to do so, “exposing his genitalia” to a room full of people, according to a police report.

The offending student was arrested for criminal mischief, according to the report.

Late Night Picnic

Evidently, for students looking to light up a joint, the picnic tables around campus are the place to be — although the likelihood of encountering an OUPD officer while doing so seems relatively likely.

During the course of three consecutive days, OUPD officers arrested individuals for possession of marijuana at various picnic tables scattered around campus: one near Crawford Hall, one in Emeriti Park and another near Parking Lot 52, according to a series of police reports.

The arrests, which occurred Thursday, Friday and Saturday, all took place late at night, while OUPD officers were on foot patrol. Overall, four individuals were arrested as a result of their encounters with officers.

South Green Stumbling

Early Sunday morning, police and paramedics were dispatched to Weld House in response to a report of a “highly intoxicated” male, who was sitting outside the residence hall, vomiting as he faded “in and out of consciousness” according to a resident assistant.

Upon arrival, an OUPD officer spotted the individual sitting in the grass outside the building, “drooling and covered in his own vomit,” with a “strong odor” of alcohol, according to a police report. When ACEMS personnel arrived, they struggled to load the man onto a stretcher, as he was unable to stand on his own or support his own weight.

After being transported to OhioHealth O'Bleness Hospital, the individual was charge with underage consumption by intoxication, according to the report.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu

Correction: A previous version of this article misidentified which student's underwear was forcibly removed in Crawford Hall. Additionally, the article misstated the team Ohio played on Sept. 10. Ohio played the University of Kansas. The article has been updated to show the most accurate information.