Ah, grilled pizza.

Uptown Eats: Giving grilled pizza a try

On Monday, I learned of the pure versatility that a grill has to offer. 

I am no longer confined to just grilling burgers and hotdogs — the slats above the open flame can conquer much more. 

Specifically, I'm talking about grilled pizza, a summertime trend I decided to jump on. 

The whole process started out fairly simple. All you need is some store-bought pizza dough and whatever toppings you think will make a killer ‘za — I went with a barbecue chicken theme and didn't follow any specific recipe. I used barbecue sauce, cheddar cheese, red onions and grilled chicken for toppings.

Once all of the prep was done, I sprayed some non-stick spray on the grill, fired it up, then slapped the dough on. After just a couple of minutes, the grill-marked dough was ready to flip and fill with toppings.

After that, the pizza spent another couple of minutes on the grill with the lid closed. Then it was ready to get in my mouth. 

The char from the grill ensured a crisp crust and wood-fired flavor all in the convenience of my backyard. That smoky flavor was only enhanced by the tang of some Sweet Baby Ray’s barbecue sauce. Cheddar cheese added a gooey element while the red onion pieces provided a well-needed crunch.

Not only was the pizza super cheap to make (around $8, thanks to Wal-Mart), but it only took about 10 minutes to complete. The best part is you can add whatever toppings you want and get as funky as you like because it’s your house, and you can do whatever you want because you’re an adult.

Keep calm and grill on.  

rg599913@ohio.edu