Nelsonville resident James Barr was indicted for rape and domestic violence by the Athens County Grand Jury on Monday. (Provided via the Southeastern Ohio Regional Jail)

Nelsonville man indicted for three counts rape, domestic violence

The Athens County Grand Jury indicted a Nelsonville resident of three counts of rape and three counts of domestic violence Monday.

James Barr, 33, allegedly sexually assaulted his girlfriend and her daughter and physically harmed his girlfriend in June, according to a news release from Athens County Prosecutor Keller Blackburn.

Barr’s girlfriend’s daughter is younger than 10 years old, according to the release.

The release states Barr’s arraignment will take place Oct. 5. Barr has been jailed in Southeast Ohio Regional Jail since Sept. 22, according to the jail's website.

A conviction for rape, a first-degree felony, comes with a recommended sentence of three to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000. Domestic violence is a first-degree misdemeanor with a maximum jail sentence of 180 days and a fine of up to $1,000.

Court records indicate a man with the same name and age pleaded guilty to having weapons under disability in Athens County Municipal Court, a third-degree felony, and receiving stolen property, a fourth-degree felony, in May 2015. Judge Patrick Lang sentenced him to five years probation for each offense and no fines or prison sentence.

In 2007, that man was sentenced to 10 months in jail for aggravated possession of drugs in Athens County Municipal Court.

In 2001, he was sentenced to 12 months in jail and fined $804.20 for seven counts of forgery, three counts of theft and one count of theft of a motor vehicle in Athens County Municipal Court.

@baileygallion

bg272614@ohio.edu