Alexis Milesky (11) attempts a shot in overtime against Highpoint in Chessa Field on August 28th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Soccer: Ohio looks to capture first road win Friday at Cleveland State

The Bobcats have simply had a strong start this year. 

They've scored in every match thus far — it took them until the fourth game of the 2015 season to get a point on the scoreboard.

The problem is, they’ve had trouble finishing the job when they’re ahead.

Ohio opened the 2016 campaign with an overtime loss to Butler on the road, but came back home and took down in-state foe Dayton 2-1 — a win coach Aaron Rodgers said was the biggest of his career with the Bobcats. 

The team carried its momentum into Sunday’s match against High Point, leading the Panthers 1-0 for most of the game. With less than six minutes to play, however, High Point tied the score, forced overtime and beat Ohio 2-1.

Rodgers said a loss like that was a good test for the team’s mentality and that closing out games is something that needs improvement.

“I like where our team is, I like our fight,” Rodgers said after Wednesday morning’s practice at Peden Stadium. “So as we continue to focus in on the things that we struggle with and we improve those things, it’s gonna be better things for us in the future.”

Ohio (1-2) travels to Cleveland State on Friday to face the 2-2 Vikings in a match up Rodgers said will be exciting for Ohio. 

The Bobcats plans to utilize the depth of their squad against the Vikings — a team Rodgers said will be a “very good test” for Ohio — in order to collect the team’s first road win of the season.

“(The depth of the team) helps us in so many ways," he said. "Not only in games where it’s hot or in two games in 36 hours, but it helps us in training."

The concept of unity has been a recurring theme several players have mentioned in post-game interviews in terms of how the team gets along and how it works together on the field. It’s been especially pertinent for junior midfielder Bryce Hueber, who transferred to Ohio from Wright State. Hueber scored Ohio’s only goal Sunday.

“I mean, Bryce is fantastic," Rodgers said. "We knew she had success at Wright State, we knew she was a quality player. ... We’re just hoping that she continues to get better and better and as we as a team grow, and her teammates get used to her and she gets used to them, I think we’ll see more good things out of her.”

ly688912@ohio.edu

@LaurenJYoung94