Ohio's Allie Curry shoots the ball during a game against Dayton on Sunday, August 21, 2016, at Chessa Field. Ohio beat Dayton 2-1. (ALEX DRIEHAUS | DIRECTOR OF PHOTOGRAPHY)

Soccer: Three things to look out for as Ohio opens conference play

Here are three things to watch for as Ohio gets ready to open up MAC play.

The Ohio soccer team looks much better than it appears on paper. A mere 2-4-1 start to the season has the team staring down the same path it has the past three years: a losing record in the Mid-American Conference. 

This year is different. 

First the non-conference part of the schedule was setup to prepare Ohio for conference competition. Second, three of the four losses have come in overtime and Ohio has scored more goals (12) going into conference play than it has since its 2013 campaign (13). 

With Ohio opening up MAC play this weekend against Bowling Green and Toledo, here are three things to look out for from the Bobcats. 

Corner kicks

Earlier this season, coach Aaron Rodgers said he setup the non-conference schedule the way he did because he wanted his team to play similar competition that his team will face in the conference. That not only includes the team overall but also play style. 

For example, most of the teams Ohio played in the first seven games were strong at corner kicks; that held true in the match against High Point. 

"That's a great preparation for our conference," Rodgers said after the High Point match. "They're a team that a lot of teams in our conference play that similar style."

In Tuesday's practice, Rodgers had two drills set up on either side of the field, working on defending corners. As the corner would come in, he would coach his team, instructing them on what to do and coach them on what the need to improve on. 

Starting strong

Maintaining energy isn't as hard as gaining it for Ohio. 

In almost every game this year and in most of the games in previous years, Ohio has been accustomed to playing from behind. The focus for his team is to get an early lead. Once Ohio has the lead, it has no trouble maintaining it. 

Getting an early lead in the first few games will be important for his team as it has traditionally started conference play off strong. 

It all starts at not giving up an early goal and playing 70-plus minutes as if you're behind the opposition.

Road games are key

Ohio has few road conference games. That's good, but it also means it needs to make the most of the road games it does have. 

Five of the teams 11 games are on the road, two of them being this weekend. 

Rodgers said it is important for his team to perform well on the road after Tuesday's practice. 

"We're on the road and that can present some challenges and unfamiliarity," Rodgers said. "We've had some very good road games this season. We know Bowling Green, we know Toledo. We've played most of the these girls except for the freshman so we're ready to go."

As his team should be.

Despite losing to Xavier, the team has momentum going into conference play. This year was perhaps the toughest non-conference schedule the team has had since Rodgers took over in 2012. 

The challenge his team had in the first seven games should benefit him for the next 11. 

"This team has had great resilience all year, great unity, and I definitely think they are ready to step out and be the aggressors in the conference," Rodgers said. 

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu