Ian Armstrong, Gradutate Student Senate President, addresses the body at their first meeting on September 6, 2016. (LAILA RIAZ | FOR THE POST)

Graduate Student Senate to vote on what to look for in new OU president, four other resolutions

Ohio University Graduate Student Senate plans to continue its momentum by bringing five new resolutions to the table at its second meeting of the academic year Wednesday at 7:30 p.m. in Porter Hall 105.

After starting the year off by leading the push to rename the now-former Roger E. Ailes Newsroom, the group is ready to keep moving.

The general body will vote to approve an official stance on what GSS, acting as the voice for graduate students on campus, would like to see in a new OU president. The group sent out a poll earlier in the semester to gather student responses.

If approved, the document states graduate students would like to see “a president who will keep focus on academics rather than business and profit” and “a president with a demonstrated commitment to diversity and justice.”

The official stance also touches on the importance of “progressive environmental policy” and “taking care of deferred maintenance projects.”

At the previous GSS meeting, Vice President of Legislative Affairs Ken Ward, resigned from his position due to “unique scheduling conflicts,” he said. To fill his position, the group sent out a call for applications or nominations for the position and received interest from two candidates.

The general body may choose to appoint either candidate Kornpob Bhirombhakdi, current commissioner for LGBT affairs, or Angie Chapman, current vice president for communication.

Additionally, the group will again vote to appoint new members, because not all positions are filled yet. GSS is currently looking for four positions to be filled, including a college senator, department representative, special interest committee member and executive staff, according to the application. The applications for the positions are due Sept. 30.

GSS also plans to discuss the Graduate Senate General Fee and if it’s something the general body would like to focus on this semester, GSS President Ian Armstrong said. It was something the previous body chose to focus on heavily.

“There’s a ton of issues we could focus on, and the General Fee is just one of them,” Armstrong said. “I would like to see what the body thinks about it.”

In addition to those resolutions, the body will vote to appoint a task force to review university naming practices, something that Faculty Senate brought up at its previous meeting.

GSS also plans to amend the section of its Rules and Procedures rule that states the agenda should be posted the Sunday before the meeting since meetings are no longer held on Mondays.

“We’re still kind of getting into things at the beginning of the semester here,” Armstrong said.

@maddiecapron

mc055914@ohio.edu