Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Members discussed graffiti wall images

Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser addressed the recent images painted on the graffiti wall by Bentley Hall at the body's Wednesday meeting.

The wall, which is located at the intersection of Mulberry Street and Richland Avenue, had previously been covered by a safari-themed mural. However, imagery including a hanged figure, the URL “iraqbodycount.org/database” and the phrase “build the wall,” was discovered covering the mural Tuesday afternoon.

“It is honestly disgusting. It is sickening,” Clouser said to the floor in reference to the depiction of a hanged figure on the wall.

The addition of the topic to the agenda brought about a lengthy discussion revolving around what the appropriate action of Student Senate would include.

“People are allowed to express themselves in loving ways,” Clouser said. “But we as Student Senate do not condone any sort of racism.”

For many the response would include the addition of lighting and cameras around the wall. 

Women's Affairs Senator Sai Jones said "silence is complicity" if senate failed to take action to prevent future abuses of the wall.

“The wall is a way for people to express themselves,” Akabalon Khalfani, College of Arts and Sciences senator, said. "There should be a punishment for posting offensive material on the wall.”

Others, however, worry that putting “preventative measures” in place to quell contentious markings would infringe on the First Amendment. 

“ 'Build the wall' is an inherent right,” Nick Felt, governmental affairs commissioner, said. “A large group of students do not feel that the message is racist. I will continue to fight for the right of speech for students.”

Black Student Union and the NAACP at OU will host a forum at Porter Hall 102 on Thursday at 6 p.m. to discuss the wall.

After the graffiti wall discussion, a budget consisting of $354.66 for senate tabling supplies, including $191 for a table cloth, was passed.

Additionally, budgets for a Masters of Sustainability Management presentation and discretionary funds for Students Defending Students were passed. A budget brought to the floor at the beginning of the night involving buying paint was not passed.

Kathryn Stanley was appointed to serve as delegate on the LGBTQA Affairs Commission. 

“We’re excited to have her on board,” Vice President Courteney Muhl said. 

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu