Pawpurr’s Bar

OU students diss Pawpurr's Bar bar in original rap song

This article includes a song with explicit language. 

The first time Nick Horvat rapped in one of his SoundCloud productions, the song exploded with popularity.

Horvat, a junior studying graphic design who is known as Nick Beats on SoundCloud, is the brains behind a diss track directed at Pawpurr’s Bar that has become popular among Ohio University students since it was uploaded on Sept. 4. The song criticizes “Bouncer Jeff” who rejected Horvat and his roommate when they tried to get into Pawpurr’s.

Pawpurr’s Bar declined to comment.

Horvat conceived the idea for the song when he and his roommate decided to make a diss track directed at a bouncer. However, he said Bouncer Jeff is just a figurehead used for a song they made for fun.

“The reason we picked him was basically he’s the only bouncer that (we) had in common that denied both of us,” Horvat said. “And he was the only one whose name we actually know.”

Horvat said he and his friends featured on the track knew it would be a hit in Athens, and someone he knows even heard someone playing it in their car while driving down Court Street.

“We thought when we put in on Twitter there was a good chance that it would blow up,” he said.

Horvat said he plans to make more songs that are relatable to college students soon.

“We plan on releasing more songs,” he said. “Expect more from us.”

Aaron Reining, a junior studying history, heard the song in a Snapchat a friend sent him. He said although it is immature, he has no problem with the song.

“This is a perfect example of people who overreact to a little thing, and then like to put their own little twist on it,” he said. “(Horvat) has every right to write this song and express himself. I think it’s juvenile, but it’s fine."

@adeichelberger

ae595714@ohio.edu