OUPD Officer Chad Touchet was sworn in on Aug. 19

A Life in Uniform: New OUPD officer is a 22-year Army veteran, former ROTC instructor

Chad Touchet is no stranger to life in uniform.

An Army veteran, former ROTC senior instructor and father of two, his titles have been broad, and his travels, expansive and constant. Now, despite having retired from the military, Touchet has found himself embarking upon a new chapter: this time, as an officer at the Ohio University Police Department.

Born and raised in Abbeville, Louisiana, Touchet left small town Southern comforts behind at 17, when his parents signed the paperwork that would allow him to enlist early in the U.S. Army. He celebrated his 18th birthday while in basic training.

For the next 22 years, Touchet built a life for himself as an infantryman, serving on four deployments to Iraq before being assigned to Ohio University’s ROTC program, where he was a senior instructor from 2011 to 2015.

It was during his time working with ROTC, while performing flag ceremonies with cadets, that Touchet first encountered the officers of OUPD, and his curiosity with the department began.

“I always thought there were age limits on getting in, and at a lot of departments, there are,” Touchet said. “So when I found out there wasn’t any age limit, I started researching … I heard nothing bad about the place, nothing bad about any of the officers. In the four years with ROTC, I got to know the area and know the university, and I like it. So I decided to stay here and pursue this.”

Touchet's position is one of three that have been vacant since at least March, when the most recent job opening was posted. OUPD is authorized to hire 31 officers. The department is currently sitting at 29, and hopes to have a full staff soon, according to OUPD Lt. Tim Ryan.

“There’s a lot we’re trying to accomplish,” Ryan said. “We’ve been understaffed for a long time, and it’s hard to accomplish all of your goals — keep the campus safe, keeping events safe. We have a lot of things that go on with crowds that’s hard to respond to if you’re not at full staff. So being up to full staff helps us to accomplish all of our goals.”

Though Touchet, who officially began training on May 9, has not yet had the chance to don the badge and uniform of an OUPD officer, daytime ride-alongs have become a favorite part of his routine, not only giving him the chance to experience the job, but allowing him to bond with fellow officers.

“It’s just like being in the Army,” Touchet said. “Everybody picks on each other, so it’s a good environment.”

Completing the state-mandated physical events and passing a polygraph test were only the beginning of Touchet’s journey to becoming an officer. From the day he passes the state examination, he will be paired with a field officer and undergo a twelve-month period of training and observation. After that, he will finally earn his title.

Touchet was sworn in on Aug. 19, according to a tweet from OU’s President’s Office. He currently makes $20.58 per hour.

“We are thrilled to have Officer Touchet on board with us,” OUPD Chief Andrew Powers said in a written statement. “He is a familiar face at Ohio University, having worked on campus with ROTC students during his time in the military. I expect that he will be able to make a quick adjustment to his new career in law enforcement.”

Though Touchet’s travels within the Army have taken him from Iraq to Georgia, Germany to Rhode Island, he hopes to finally settle down among the rolling hills and red-bricked roads of Athens, with a wife, two children and a dog named Sam waiting at home when the day comes to an end.

“This reminds me of home,” Touchet said. “It’s country. It’s small town… just the little things that go on in the community. There’s so many events that take place here — it’s really amazing. It doesn’t matter what your interests are, there’s something here for you to do.”

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu