Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

After Ailes controversy, Ohio University Student Senate to focus on power-based personal violence

In the wake of the Roger Ailes controversy, Ohio University Student Senate will shift focus and vote on a resolution regarding power-based personal violence at its Wednesday meeting. 

The resolution calls for the creation of a forum for students, faculty and community members. 

“It is the first time the Senate body will meet since the decision to take Ailes’ name off the newsroom was made,” Student Senate Vice President Courteney Muhl said. “We know the fight isn’t over.”

OU President Roderick McDavis announced Monday during the Faculty Senate meeting that Roger Ailes' name will be removed from a WOUB newsroom.  

More than 20 women accused Ailes, an OU alumnus, of sexual harassment. 

The former Fox News chairman and CEO donated $500,000 to the university in 2007. As part of a contract with the university, obtained via a public records request, he agreed to pay the full amount within five years in exchange for naming a newsroom after him.  

Last week,Fox News' parent company reached a $20 million settlement with Gretchen Carlson, a former Fox News anchor who sued Ailes over sexual harassment allegations in July. The company has also settled with at least two other women, according to The New York Times.

"It's a really great first step that they’ve removed the name,” Student Senate President Hannah Clouser said after Monday night's meeting.

Off-campus senator Noah Hajivandi said Monday night that a weight had been lifted off his shoulders. 

“We just can’t say we won here, there are a lot of issues that aren’t going to stop overnight," Hajivandi said. "We need to address this and help educate more people here to stop this.”

Wednesday night's resolution also emphasizes the importance of keeping Ailes’ involvement with the university in the history of the newsroom. 

“If we erase the history of what (the newsroom) was, it erases victims.” Sarah Pinter, a secondary sponsor of the resolution, said.

Senate will also vote on three budgets including two regarding a senate retreat. A total of $1,800 is to be distributed between 12 different commissions in $150.00 allotments.

Senate will also hear presentations from NextGen Climate, #BleedGreen Committee and Chief Justice of the Judicial Panel Hashim Pashtun during the meeting.

Senate members will also vote on appointments to the Women’s Affairs Commission in addition to seven appointments for Justice and one Clerk of Court appointment.

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu