Sarah Vaughn

Let's Talk Life: The scale can only measure weight, not personal value

Sometimes we forget the scale is just a number. The factors of our weight are so much more than just the fat we have (or think we have) attached to our bodies. It's how much water is in our system, and moreover, how much muscle is attached to us.

My favorite fact, and one that saves my sanity, is that muscle weighs more than fat. Now, of course we can't just assume it's "all muscle" but we can't assume it's "all fat" either. The fact is — unless you have a VERY high-tech scale, you don't know. 

What you do know is how you condition your body day to day and what you're putting into it. From your self treatment you can make inferences of what your body is made up of.

Sometimes, that realization can be scary but it can also be productive. You can pin-point your areas of struggle then build. You can't just assume the worst unless you have your own facts to back it up. 

If you're running every day with a light workout to follow (per my regular routine), you're probably safe to bet you have some muscle in your body as opposed to someone who just sits on the couch all day eating greasy potato chips.

Any workout or physical activity is better than none. It's just fact. It's all about perception. 

Like I have mentioned before, without a positive outlook of yourself you won't be able to move forward. You've already crossed that bridge? Wonderful! 

Now, you need to separate your fictional insecurities from the real facts. It's okay to be insecure, we all have insecurities, but the true test of time is how you decide to go about conquering them.

So let's start small. Instead of jumping out of bed and running to Ping to bust a sweat (because its closed for the holiday) let's look at a few small exercises you can do in your living room or dorm room.

Always start by stretching out your muscles in whatever way feels best. You just need to loosen up. Then, get up and going by following this simple 10-minute workout:

-20 squats

-20 crunches

-20 jump squats

-30 second plank

-10 side lunges (each side)

-30 second high knees

-5 side lunges (each side)

-30 second butt kick

Repeat this cycle twice (or more!) Just get that heart rate moving, and start your day with more energy than ever! Maybe even reward yourself with a snack of apples and peanut butter. 

Sarah Vaughn is a junior studying education at Ohio University. What is your favorite short workout? Tweet your answers to Sarah using her Twitter handle @_suraaahhh.