Ohio University Student Senate President Hannah Clouser and Chief of Staff Landon Lama welcome returning members from last year as well as students interested in joining Student Senate on Wednesday evening in Walter Hall. (AUSTIN JANNING | FOR THE POST)

Student Senate: Resolution could reduce votes allotted to Appropriations Commission

Ohio University Student Senate is considering passing a resolution that would limit the number of votes the Senate Appropriations Commission can cast, reducing the figure from 10 votes to two.

The change — which will be introduced Wednesday in Walter Hall 235 — would bring the commission in line with the number of votes other commissions have. If passed, only two members of the commission would be allowed to attend each meeting.

“Personally, I’m not in support of this resolution,” Chief of Staff Landen Lama said. “They were voted into their positions like every other member, and they should be allowed to keep their voting privilege like every other member.”

Senate will vote on a total of 10 resolutions at the meeting, and also hear from President Roderick McDavis and Vice Provost of Global Affairs L.J. Edmonds.

“It’s going to be awesome to hear what McDavis is going to say and what he is going to tell us to improve on,” Senator At-Large Nicole Kromalic said.

“We don’t really know what he’s going to talk about,” Vice President Courteney Muhl said. “It’s going to be one of the last times he addresses Senate, so we’re really excited.”

Senate will vote on six budgets, two of which concern funding for Homecoming supplies. One budget will allot $461.25 to apparel for alumni and senate members.

“We have 35 to 50 alumni coming down for Homecoming weekend and we’ve never had T-shirts for Homecoming, so this is a real goal for us,” Lama said. “We, as a senate, are covering a portion of the cost and they will have to pay five dollars.”

In addition to Homecoming budgets, Senate will also vote to pay for pizza for National Coming Out Day, documentary screening rights and blue books.

“We never want lack of access to blue books to stop students from being able to take an exam,” Muhl said.

Senate will also introduce a change in the way its measures are labeled. Issues that affect the inner workings of Senate will be called resolutions and affairs regarding the whole student body will be called bills.

“Making the distinction between internal and external affairs within Senate is the continuation of our campaign goals.” Muhl said. “We really want to increase transparency with the student body.”

@taylor_snyder01

ts802716@ohio.edu