Alivia Milesky (22) chases the ball down agaisnt Western Michigan at Chessa Field on September 30th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Soccer: Ohio looks to end regular season on a high note following 3-1 win over Ball State

The Bobcats endured a rough spell, last weekend, after losing both of their road games to Eastern Michigan and Central Michigan. 

The latter was particularly challenging for Ohio, as the Chippewas beat the Bobcats 2-1 in double overtime. It was a tough loss for the Bobcats, especially since the team outshot Central Michigan 23-13. It was the Bobcats' 11th loss of the season.

“The team works so hard and never quit as evidence by our last minute equalizer,” coach Aaron Rodgers said in an OhioBobcats.com report. “Once again a very difficult result to take. We will take some great things from this game and be ready to fight until the end."

He said his team was focused on taking on Ball State and the Bobcats seemed to be just that Thursday at Chessa Field.

The team's focus seemed to be the answer when Ohio last won on Oct. 9 against Akron — the Bobcats beat the Zips 4-1. It proved to be the key again Thursday when the team defeated Ball State 3-1, with two goals coming from freshman standout Alivia Milesky. Ball State had yet to lose in conference play.

The Cardinals scored within the first 10 minutes with a shot to the left post that got past Bobcat goalkeeper Erin Beurket. Milesky responded in the 21st minute, chipping the ball into the back of the net to tie up the match. 

Bryce Hueber, a junior transfer from Wright State, notched Ohio's second goal, her fourth of the season. Hannah Jaggers assisted Hueber with a ground pass that Hueber notched into the left corner of the goal in the 43rd minute.

In the 56th minute, Milesky scored her second goal of the game, widening the gap between the Bobcats and the Cardinals to 3-1. It was Milesky's third goal of the season. 

Ohio has just two games left in the regular season, both of which will be in Athens. In their next match, the Bobcats will take on Mid-American Conference foe Miami. The game is Sunday, with a 1 p.m. kickoff at Chessa Field.

@LaurenJYoung94

ly688912@ohio.edu