Alivia Milesky (22) chases the ball down agaisnt Western Michigan at Chessa Field on September 30th, 2016. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Soccer: Bobcats slump continues as they lose 2-0 to Western Michigan

Western Michigan started its offensive attack early with goals in the 19th and 38th minutes, as the Bobcats defense couldn’t overcome the Broncos aggressive style of play. 

Ohio lost its first MAC home game Friday to Western Michigan 2-0 at Pruitt Field. Ohio fell 2-7-1 record on the season.

Outshooting the Bobcats 15 to one in the first half alone, Western Michigan took advantage of its possession times and opportunities with the ball often driving in near the goalie box with little to no stoppage from Bobcat defenders.

Ohio’s offense also struggled, getting off its one and only shot in the 24th minute of play.

Coach Aaron Rodgers acknowledged their opponents on the pitch and their strengths.

“You let them (Western Michigan) get on the front foot early and it’s going to be difficult," he said.

The second half told a different, much more competitive story due in part to a keeper change for Ohio. Erin Beurket went in for Taylor Smith, a switch coach Aaron Rodgers alluded to earlier in the week in a previous Post article. 

The two programs were equal in terms of physicality on defense and offensive production, or the lack thereof, and held each other to only four shots apiece.

Rodgers' halftime message could’ve also played a dominant role in Ohio’s more competitive play in the second half.

“There weren’t many technical adjustments," he said. "It’s a mentality thing.”

Still with eight games left in the regular season, Rodgers remains optimistic about the Bobcats' chances.

“If we can put two halves together, we’re up there with the top teams in our conference," Rogers said.

@machewp81

mp109115@ohio.edu