Ohio University swimmers compete in the freestyle relay race vs. Marshall on Nov. 13, 2015.

Swim and Dive: Ohio falls against first MAC foe of the season

Ohio swim and dive lost its first Mid-American Conference meet to Eastern Michigan, 178-122, on Saturday at the Ohio University Aquatics Center, despite winning four freestyle events.

The Bobcats were led by Corrin Van Lanen and Mikayla Herich with each of them picking up two individual wins and a combined three second places.

Van Lanen won both the 50- and 100-yard freestyle events in times of 23.28 and 51.29 seconds respectively with Emily Zimcosky finishing second in both events.

Herich was the leader of the distance freestyles, winning both the 500- and 1,000-yard events with Ana Henderson placing second in both events. Additionally, Herich took second place in the 200-yard Individual Medley along with anchoring the 400-yard freestyle relay to a second-place finish.

The 200-yard butterfly podium was full of Bobcats as they swept the podium finishes with Elena Patz winning the event, Annie Gosselin in second and Emily Davis in third wrapping up the podium sweep.

Olivia Dillon led the Bobcats on the diving side with a third place finish in the 3-meter dive and fourth in the 1-meter dive. Nicole Hughes dove consistently to fifth place finishes in both events.

In the 200 and 400-yard freestyle relays the Bobcats finished in third and second places respectively with Van Lanen and Dawson part of both of the relays.

Ohio has its next MAC event on Nov. 5 against rival Miami in Oxford, Ohio, at 1 p.m.

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu