Ohio softball players celebrate after winning a game against Akron at the Ohio University Softball Field. In the first game Saturday, Ohio won 2-1 but lost the other two games against Akron that weekend. (PATRICK CONNOLLY | PHOTO EDITOR)

Ohio softball lands four recruits including top infielder in Ohio in 2017-2018 class

Ohio softball lands the top infield recruit in the state Thursday, along with three other recruits as a part of the early signing period for 2017-18 recruiting class.

Katie Yun of North Canton Hoover High School in North Canton is the top infield prospect in her class in the state of Ohio. Yun is a talented shortstop who is coming off consecutive seasons named First Team All-District and Batting Average Award winner. She is also coming off a season where she was named Division-I First Team All-State and Stark County Player of the Year.  

Casie Hutchinson is graduating following this spring season, and the Bobcats still have a question mark at short going into this season, so it looks like Yun will have a shot to come in and compete for a starting spot immediately. 

The three other new recruits joining Yun in early signing today are Allie Englant of Long Beach, California, Brooke Rice of Mason and Madi McCrady of Ravenna.

Englant is an outfielder from Los Alamitos High School. She looks to join the young talented outfield depth the Bobcats already have on the roster. When Englant comes to Athens, she will be the third California player on the roster following behind fellow Long Beach-native Natalie Alvarez and Whittier-native Jamie Wren. 

Playing three summers for USA Softball also gives Englant experience playing against tough competition.

Rice is a catcher from William Mason High School. She is coming off a junior campaign where she was named first team all-conference and defensive player of the year.

Senior catcher Madison Claytor is graduating after this season, which leaves Rice a chance to come in and play a big role instantly.

McCrady of Walsh Jesuit High School is a pitcher coming off an impressive season where she pitched her team to the Division-I state title while recording 250 strikeouts and pitching a perfect game against Bloom Carroll.

Savannah Jo Dorsey’s impressive Ohio career is entering its final chapter, which means McCrady will presumably have an open spot waiting for her when she arrives on campus.

@JimmyFarmer13

jf744915@ohio.edu