A solo dancer represents the male Indian dance tradition, performing a routine with both traditional and hip-hop influences. 

Indian Student Association to host Diwali celebration

This Sunday, interested students can attend the Diwali Festival of Lights hosted by The Indian Student Association to celebrate Hindu culture.

People can discover a celebration of the Hindu culture with dance, songs and authentic Indian food at the celebration at 5 p.m. in Baker Center Ballroom. Admission is $7.

Diwali is the Hindu festival of lights annually celebrated in the fall in the northern hemisphere, according to The International Student Union’s website.

Prashant Kumar Kuntala, the president for Indian Student Association, said the celebration of the Hindu culture “signifies prosperity” and “victory of good over evil.”

Kuntala, a second-year graduate studying computer science, said Diwali, “or Deepavali” is referred to as the festival of lights and is one of the most celebrated Indian Festivals.

Tanmay Pandit, the treasurer of the Indian Student Association, said the festival of lights is a great opportunity for people of Indian descent to come together with domestic students and faculty to learn about a part of the Indian culture.

“We have many dance and singing performances which are mostly on Indian music and culture,” Kuntala said. “Then we have an authentic Indian dinner at the end which concludes the event.”

SuryaPrakash Goud Jeripothula, the cultural coordinator of the Indian Student Association, said everyone is welcome to attend their celebration of the particular day the god Krishna killed the demon Narakasura and saved people from his atrocities.

“(This is) a colorful evening with spectacular performances and delighting Indian delicacies.” Jeripothula, a sophomore studying computer science, said.

For more than 30 years, the OU event has been an opportunity to share Hindu culture with others and give Hindu students an opportunity to celebrate the important Indian festivals away from home, Kuntala said.

“This event is one of the two events we do as an organization,” Pandita, sophomore studying in accounting and finance said. “It also allows us to give an insight into a part of the Indian culture and so it is very important for us.”

@lesliemilkie37

lm755415@ohio.edu