Police Blotter

Police Blotter: Drunken Subway theft lands person in question behind bars

With Thanksgiving Break just around the corner, students are hunkering down for a final week of assignments and exams before returning home for a long weekend of turkey and relaxation. Others, however, will find themselves facing holiday charges following run-ins with local law enforcement.

Last Monday night, the Ohio University Police Department received a report of three students engaged in a fight just above the police station in Scott Quad. Upon arrival, the officers discovered the individuals engaged in an altercation over marijuana dabs — a concentrated form of THC.

During the course of the fight, one of the individuals punched another, causing bruises to the other’s face. Though two individuals were found to be in possession of marijuana paraphernalia, all three were served additional charges for disorderly conduct by fighting, according to the police report.

Throughout the course of the week, OUPD responded to three reports of theft, four alcohol-related charges, three drug reports and two incidents of criminal mischief.

Late Night Munchies

Early Thursday morning, the Athens Police Department was called to the Subway restaurant at 27 N. Court St., after reports that an individual stole four bags of chips from the business. After a brief investigation, officers found the person in question “behind the building eating chips from Subway.”

The individual was found by officers to be “very intoxicated,” and was placed under arrest for underage consumption of alcohol. She was subsequently released to a sober adult, according to the police report.

Grab a Bud (or two dozen)

At approximately 3 a.m. Sunday, APD officers were dispatched to Dale's BP gas station, 50 N. Court St., in response to a report of theft.

Upon arrival, officers spoke to an employee, who stated that a male “ran into the business and stole a (24-pack) case of Bud Light,” valued at $15, according to a police report. Although he followed the man outside, the employee was unable to stop the individual as he drove off in a vehicle. The department has no suspects as of press time.

Sibling Rivalry

On Saturday, deputies from the Athens County Sheriff’s Office were dispatched to Jacksonville in response to a domestic dispute. The caller explained to deputies that her brother, with whom she had a “history of fighting” was “yelling at her,” and alleged that someone in the house “dumped bleach on her clothes.”

According to the police report, however, there was no evidence as to who had dumped bleach on the clothing. After advising the parties to “stay away from each other for the rest of the evening,” the case was closed.

@lauren__fisher

lf966614@ohio.edu