From the editor's desk: ‘Post’ aims to diligently report out election outcome long after Tuesday evening

The Post has been a witness to some of the more historic events on Ohio University’s campus in the past century — presidential visits, elections, protests and celebrations — and I’m prone to believe that both our readers and reporters have benefited from such coverage. When the campus’ opinion has shifted, we have followed that tide diligently.

So this election cycle has been an experience, to say the least, and our reporters and photographers have had their eyes on every aspect of the ballot, and as a result have followed each prominent political voice on campus and Uptown. Maybe one of our reporters even grabbed you in Front Room or on Court Street to ask for your opinion on either candidate, solely because we have tried to have our notepads out and ready for every turn of this election. After all, our readers determined the outcome of the race. We merely recorded it.

Post reporters and photographers have been following this election for more than a year, with the dedication and attention our readers have required. In addition to that, Post staff members worked well into Wednesday morning to put out a special edition dedicated to the election. National news so rarely penetrates our OU-Athens bubble — presidential races are certainly the exception to that tradition.

I hope our readers find value in this issue, and are able to reflect on it in the years to come and determine how this election shaped our town and our campus. We have only a few hours to summarize the impact of an election’s outcome, but expect more political coverage to come in the following weeks. The presidential election’s outcome should not be considered an end to the national coverage The Post has pushed for this election cycle. Rather, it should be considered the beginning of The Post’s coverage of the policy issues that may affect students and faculty over the next four years.

So we are not quite done yet, but we appreciate our readers sticking with us through this historic event.

— Emma Ockerman is a senior studying journalism and editor-in-chief of The Post. Want to talk to her? Email her at eo300813@ohio.edu or tweet her @eockerman.