MAC Football: Kent starting safety arrested; Miami is hot

News broke Monday that Kent State starting safety Nate Holley was suspended from the Golden Flashes after he was arrested for kidnapping, which is a first-degree felony. The alleged incident took place last Thursday in Franklin Township. His arraignment was scheduled for Monday afternoon.

It was first reported by the Kent newspaper Record-Courier on Monday morning.

Holley is second in the nation and first in the Mid-American Conference in tackles with 111. 

Miami riding high

Miami started the season with six straight losses but has won its past four games. If Miami is able to beat Buffalo and Ball State to end the season, it would be the first time the RedHawks would be bowl eligible since 2010.

“We’re still in growing mode, whether we get to a bowl game or not,” coach Chuck Martin said.

If Miami wins its fifth game this week, the seniors on the team will have doubled their win total at Miami. Prior to this season, the team went 5-36 in the past three seasons.

Football in baseball

Toledo will take on Northern Illinois on Wednesday at Guaranteed Rate Field — where the Chicago White Sox play — in the Huskie Chi-Town Showdown.

That won't be the first college football game played in a baseball stadium: the Pinstripe Bowl has been played in Yankee Stadium since 2010.

That will be the first football game played in Guaranteed Rate Field, which was built in 1991.

The game is being played in Chicago due to a Northern Illinois partnership with the White Sox.

“I think it is a big time thing from the standpoint of 150,000 or 140,000 living alumni in the Chicagoland area,” coach Rod Carey said. “We’re coming closer to them.”

Though the game is being played because of Northern Illinois, it is big for Toledo as well.

“I think it’s really cool that we have the opportunity to (play at Guaranteed Rate Field), you’re talking about a venue that hosted a World Series not too long ago,” coach Jason Candle said. “That’s a really cool deal for the program, and certainly for the student-athletes participating in the game for both teams.”

Though this game will be played in a different type of stadium, the teams are preparing as normal.

“It’s a football game,” Candle said. “The field is going to be the same length, the same width.”

Eastern Michigan’s helmet

While most of the country will be focused on the results of the election, Eastern Michigan will be playing a game against Ball State, which starts at 7 p.m. However, the Eagles will be wearing special helmets in honor of Election Day.

The block “E” on the side of the helmet will have stars and stripes on them. Going down the middle of the helmet will be the names of all 44 U.S. presidents.

“It’s unusual to be playing a football game on election night,” coach Chris Creighton said. “We get that, so it just made sense to do something to recognize the evening we are playing on, that there is more than a football game going on.”

It's unknown as to whether the team will add the president-elect’s name mid-game.

@trevor_colgan

tc648714@ohio.edu