Provide via Nintendo

A Guy and His Games: I just want a remastered GameCube

I don’t want a NES.

I don’t want 8-bit graphics.

I don’t want a “reboot” NES. No. Just, no.

I want my GameCube. I want that indestructible box that played discs the size of ninja shurikens.

On Nov. 11, Nintendo is set it release its NES Classic Edition, a re-release of the 30-year-old console tandem with a wireless two-button controller and 30 pre-installed titles. It can be purchased for $60 online.

The thing is: the GameCube could be a much more economical, smarter re-release. So could a simple re-release of its classic games.

Sure, some GameCube games are being remastered to the abysmal Wii U and NX Switch (Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, for an example). And they look great.

But while Nintendo has continued to be the only video game company thoughtful enough to actually make consoles (Sony and Microsoft are too busy making supercomputers), Nintendo has selected to reproduce a console that many aren’t even old enough to remember.

My parents didn’t even play the NES. Would I rather shell out $60 on the NES Classic than The Last Guardian? Probably not.

But the GameCube may get my attention more. Or a re-release announcement of the classic games. The GameCube was the peak of my video game lore — Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Mario Sunshine, Metroid Prime, Mario Kart: Double Dash.

I miss the mid-2000s.

Maybe my logic is flawed. Maybe I just don’t get nostalgic over the NES. But Nintendo is hurting a little financially. According to Forbes, Nintendo scored a second quarter operating loss of $7.77 million.

Getting excited about Nintendo has been arduous in the past two years. Part of it is a lack of third-party exclusives. Part of it was faulty, or less powerful, hardware.

Yet, it’s beautiful that it still cares about its hardcore gamers.

So that’s why, to me, it’s a little confusing why Nintendo selected the NES Classic. I don’t think it’ll receive much hype — I just heard about it. I know it’s $60, but I don’t know how much the 30 games listed will be worth playing past an, “Oh, neat.” Pac-Man, Dr. Mario, Excitebike and Kid Icarus will all be available, sure, but I don’t think those come close to the glory days of the GameCube.

Maybe it will do well during the winter holidays. But past that? Hm.

@Lukeoroark

Lr514812@ohio.edu