Sebastian Smith (6) celebrate what he thinks is a touchdown against Buffalo in Peden Stadium on Thursday night. MATT STARKEY|FOR THE POST

Football: Breathe easy; Ohio beats Buffalo 34-10

Thursday night contained no nerve-wracking final moments. No worrisome final possessions. Not even late game heroics.

For the first time since September, Ohio won a football game with room to breathe.

Ohio beat Buffalo 34-10 at Peden Stadium to widen the gap in the conference standings. Breathing room. 

“I feel like we’re playing the best football we’ve played all season right now," Tarell Basham said. "It’s a real good feeling, everyone is flying to the ball, everyone is full of energy, full enthusiasm, just loving it.”

It has been a tough stretch for the Bobcats, one that they've handled impressively. They've won six of their last seven games, including five of the last six Mid-American Conference games. The Bobcats are now 7-3 and 5-1 in the MAC.

The six conference games before Thursday were decided by a grand total of 32 points combined –– an average difference of just over five points per game. So the win over the Bulls wasn't necessarily invigorating. It was therapeutic. 

“Going 10 games without a bye week, one of those weeks being a short week, is no small feat," Quinton Maxwell said. "It speaks a lot about this team. Realistically there were a couple games that we were in it, and should have won. Best bunch I’ve ever played with.”

Ohio emerged from the 10-game gauntlet alive on the the other side. And maybe even more than just alive.

The team sits two games ahead of Akron in the MAC East standings with just two games to play. A win over Central Michigan on Nov. 15, or an Akron loss against Bowling Green next Wednesday, will clinch a MAC East title for the Bobcats.

That will take place of course, after the Bobcats get some much needed rest. 

“We’ve been in a lot of tight football games," coach Frank Solich said. "We haven’t had a chance to rest starters in that 10 game break, that’s also demanding on a football team.”

The Bobcats were somewhat balanced in their offensive attack on the night, as Maxwell went 13-for-23 with 236 yards passing and one touchdown. Maleek Irons led the team in rushing with 64 yards on 12 carries. Maxwell started hot early, as he hit Papi White on a fly route for a 73-yard touchdown pass just 13 seconds in to the game. 

Another reason for calm.

“It was a great feeling throughout the entire game," Basham said. "They got out there and scored on the first play, you can only imagine how good that made us feel. Offense showed up today, that tells us we gotta show up. You’re able to enjoy yourself, not so much weight on your shoulders.”

Basham tied the Ohio season sack record with nine sacks, set by Jason Carthen back in 1992. With just 1/2 of a sack, Basham will set the program record. 

“That was a goal I set out at the beginning of my college career," he said. "It feels great to finally reach it, got two games left to set it to a different standard.”

Basham and the Bobcats will know their MAC East job before they take the field against the Chippewas of Central Michigan in a week and a half. But for now, it's time for rest. A fact not lost on even the coach himself.

“I’m gonna sleep in a little bit tomorrow," Solich said as he leaned back in his chair, grinning. "Sleeping in to me, is waking up, going to get a cup of decaf coffee, get a McDonald’s hot apple pie and putting it in the freezer, sitting up in bed, drinking that coffee and eating the apple pie. Then it’s off to work.”

@Andrew_Gillis70

ag079513@ohio.edu