Column: A blowout win and time to think seriously about Detroit

For the first time this season, the Bobcats looked relaxed.

Sitting in the post-game press conference, Maleek Irons spilled his water on the table, Quinton Maxwell overestimated how long Tarell Basham has been in Athens and Basham told reporters his weekend plans with his girlfriend.

In case you’re wondering, there are one or two movies in the theaters he would like to watch.

These guys sound worried, right?

A 34-10 win over Buffalo on Thursday night at Peden Stadium did two things. One, it ended Ohio’s brutal 10-game spell without a bye week, and two, made the Mid-American Conference East Division the team’s to lose.

With the pummeling of the Bulls, the Bobcats have a two-game lead in the division with two regular season games remaining. But they might not have to win again to make the conference championship.

If Akron loses either of its next two games — one being at Ohio on Nov. 22 — the Bobcats are guaranteed a spot in Detroit for the first time 2011.  

That’s reassuring — at least until the next game on the 15th at Central Michigan.

Perhaps the most impressive aspect to Ohio’s 7-3 record (5-1 MAC) to this point is the team’s growth each week.

Against Buffalo, the Bobcats were able to play their backups — not out of necessity — for the first time since non-conference play since September.

Even Joey Duckworth, the now second-string quarterback, made his collegiate debut late in the game. Considering the Buffalo matchup was technically the team’s most important game to date, it’s odd to see that sort of relaxation dominance.

Despite Ohio’s ability to maneuver through the MAC with only a lone loss, it hasn’t been pretty.

At times, conference play has felt as though Ohio skated through conference play on dull blades. Even with the wins, some were ugly.

But not Thursday.

The Bobcats played their most complete game of the season. Leading 27-10 at halftime, the defense wouldn’t allow another point the rest of the game.

The offense, which opened the game with a 73-yard touchdown pass from Maxwell to Papi White, kept the intensity throughout the game.

By no means was Thursday perfect. Against Buffalo, a team that only had one conference win entering the game, it didn’t have to be.

What the blowout win did prove, though, is that for all the talk about Western Michigan running riot in the MAC West, the Bobcats are slyly setting opponents down.

Coach Frank Solich said he would sleep in Friday morning. Knowing him, sleeping in probably isn’t late, but it’s a hint at how comfortable the Bobcats can feel with some time off.

It’ll be needed, especially if the Bobcats have a trip to Detroit waiting to be booked.

@charliehatch_

gh181212@ohio.edu