The Ohio University Field Hockey team talks strategy during a home game against Missouri State at Pruitt Field on October 7. "MICHAEL JOHNSON | FOR THE POST"

Field Hockey: Ohio announces signing of four players to 2017 class

Ohio field hockey announced the signing of four recruits last Thursday to the 2017 recruiting class, including the captain of a team that won a Kentucky state championship.

Here's a brief look at the four recruits:

Emma Spinetto is from Louisville, Kentucky, and captained Assumption High School to a state championship in her senior season. Spinetto accumulated 63 goals and 66 assists over the course of her four years including a 22 goal, 16 assist junior season.

Claire Buckley, the second recruit added, led Olentangy Liberty High School to the Ohio Field Hockey Final Four in her senior season. The Powell native is could play in the midfield or backfield for the Bobcats according to head coach Neil Macmillan. Buckley knows the Ohio program, as former Bobcat field hockey player Marianne Beshara-Flannery is her high school coach.

Annmarie Hoppel also joins the 2017 recruiting class from Courtland High School in Fredericksburg, Virginia, where she was named the Conference 19 Player of the Year in 2016. Hoppel scored 23 goals and added 23 assists in her high school career, leading to her being named as a First Team All-Conference for three of her four seasons.

Shannon Aumiller, the final member of the recruiting class, comes from Dublin, Ohio, and captained her Dublin Coffman High School team for her senior season. Macmillan sees Aumiller as playing in the backfield for Ohio as she had eight defensive saves in four years of field hockey. Aumiller can score too; she tallied 25 goals in her high school career.

These four players will be a part of the group trying to replace the six players Ohio is losing this season including Kristen Buchanan, a key part of the Bobcat of the backfield, and Amelia Milton, the dependable midfielder for Ohio.    

@TREricWalker

ew399115@ohio.edu