Quiera Lampkins (5) goes up for a layup against UT Martin in the Convocation Center on November 18th, 2016 MATT STARKEY

Women's Basketball: Ohio has short break in preparation for NKU

Ohio doesn’t have much time to prepare for its next game. 

Two days after beating University of Tennessee-Martin, the Bobcats will face Northern Kentucky on Monday night in The Convo.

The one thing Ohio is going to need to work on is getting a better, stronger start early in the game.

“As a team we didn’t really prepare well for this game,” Quiera Lampkins said, following the UT-Martin game. “Our approach has to come better. Right now we don’t get five days to look at other teams offense and defense.”

That lack of preparation hindered Ohio early against UT-Martin.

Ohio saw something in UT-Martin it wasn’t used to season: a team with multiple defenses. So that can be credited for the slow start. But once Ohio broke the press, the challenge was making shots to beat the zone.

Ohio is going to have to do a better job at hitting its shots early if it wants to remain undefeated.

The Bobcats (2-0) didn’t take bad shots early in the game, they just couldn’t make them. Once they hit them, though, Ohio never looked back.

“The shooting numbers weren’t where we would like them, but because of the turnovers, we were able to get 16 more shots and in that case you don't have to shoot it quite as well,” coach Bob Boldon said.

And the defense is something Ohio is going need to stay consistent.

Against UT-Martin, Ohio forced 21 turnovers and had 22 points off of those turnovers, something Boldon hopes his team can replicate Monday night.

In addition to the defense, Amani Burke and Lampkins are going to need to replicate their performances as well.

Burke, a freshman, played a key role off the bench, filling in when Lampkins came out of the game. Playing as a slasher, she drove to the basket, getting shots inside as well as setting up outside shots.

Her counterpart, Lampkins, plays a similar role and the two complemented each other well.

Ohio shouldn’t be too worried about Northern Kentucky. Though Ohio may not have a lot of time to prepare or preseason film to review, as long as the Bobcats start strong, they should be able to finish the game, with little trouble.

@wynstonw_

ww773412@ohio.edu