Grover Center houses the College of Health Sciences and Professions.

Some undecided OU students aren't in University College

Not all of Ohio University’s undecided undergraduates are in University College.

Though most of Ohio University’s undecided students are in University College, others are undecided within a particular college.

In fall 2015, 2,299 of 17,796 undergraduate students at Ohio University’s Athens campus were attending college without having declared a major. Of those 2,299 OU students, 638 were part of colleges other than University College, according to the Athens campus enrollment statistics for fall 2015. Those included the College of Arts and Sciences, the College of Business, the Scripps College of Communication, the Patton College of Education, the Russ College of Engineering and Technology, the College of Fine Arts and the College of Health Sciences and Professions.

The College of Health Sciences and Professions, made of 2,620 undergraduates, had the most undecided students of all colleges aside from University College with a total 211. The College of Fine Arts had no undecided undergraduates among all 720 students.

Chemetria Wilson, from Mason, is a junior in the College of Arts and Sciences. She said she is undecided because she has yet to find an enjoyable major.

“I will most likely be in a biological science major because I will have the opportunity to have a wider range of jobs,” Wilson said in an email. “I have not particularly taken any steps to pick a major yet. I am just taking a lot of science classes, and if something catches my heart, then I go for it.”

Amy Shook, from Painesville, is in her first year at OU in the College of Health Sciences and Professions after transferring from Lakeland Community College in Kirtland where she received her associate degrees in arts and science.

Shook was initially studying applied nutrition at OU before becoming undecided and said she is now taking an interest in social work and child and family studies.

“I am doing a lot of research at the moment on what each degree would entail,” Shook, who has junior status, said in an email. “I need to meet with the advisors from each program and I have been scheduling intro classes for each degree.”

Camden Henderson-Joliat, a freshman from Granville, is also a member of the College of Arts and Sciences. She said she began college without a clear idea of what she wanted to study, but the College of Arts and Sciences had “most of the things (she) was interested in.”

“At first I was taking classes that interested me so I could dabble in the different areas,” Henderson-Joliat said in an email. “But when I decided to do interior architecture, it was more of a personal realization. This was something that I thought about doing a few years ago and now I've just come back to it.”

@DixAubree

ad144815@ohio.edu