Freshman setter Katelyn Burke (#13) and redshirt freshman outside hitter Carley Remmers (#10) go up to block a Western Kentucky shot on Friday, August 26, 2016 in the Convo. (CARL FONTICELLA | PHOTO EDITOR)

Volleyball: Bobcats look to remain flashy against Kent State

Despite struggling in non-conference competition, Ohio (14-12, 10-4 Mid-American Conference) has drastically improved in conference play. Come Thursday, the program wants to build off last Saturday’s comeback win over Bowling Green when they travel to Kent State.

The come-from-behind win has been a testament to this season as the Bobcats have had three of their 10 conference wins earned in that fashion.

Coach Deane Webb said that must continue if the Bobcats want to be serious contenders for a consecutive conference title.

“We’ve kind of had that mentality all year long,” Webb said. “Besides the Miami game, this team has played without getting rattled, and you typically see that with a more mature team. That’s a testament to the maturity of this team.”

Ohio beat Kent 3-1 on Oct. 6 when senior libero Mallory Salis shined for the Bobcats by earning a double-double with 22 kills and 13 digs. While putting up impressive individual numbers, it was more of a team game as players from all around the roster carried their weight in achieving the initial MAC win.

However, a month has passed since the two teams faced each other, and the Golden Flashes made some changes.

Kent State looks to get back injured senior middle blocker Drew Norberg, who has been out for the last four matches. Her return is not definite, but Webb has game-planned for Norberg.

Kent also has momentum in its favor after it defeated Miami, which sits atop the MAC East Division rankings and will have a bye in the MAC Tournament come next week.

Ohio has to play through this Kent game on a short week after playing games last Friday and Saturday, and then having to turn around and play again this Thursday and Saturday. Ohio plays Central Michigan away in the second matchup.

Even though the schedule is busy with little room for down time, Webb said the focus is a good balance of playing each game individually but keeping the mentality focused toward the conference tournament. The MAC Tournament begins next week.

The Bobcats are in action this Thursday at Kent State and this Saturday at Central Michigan both starting at 7 p.m. These are the two last regular season opponents. 

@mparker_5

mp109115@ohio.edu