Ohio sophomore forward Jasmine Weatherspoon puts up a shot against pressure from two Miami defenders on Saturday at The Convo on March 8. (FILE)

Women's Basketball: Three things to know after Ohio's blowout win against High Point

Ohio (1-0) defeated High Point (0-1) in its regular season opener Sunday, and its performance in the second quarter decided the game. Ohio outscored High Point 31-6 in that second quarter.

With the offense playing well even without Quiera Lampkins (ankle), the Bobcats are set to have another solid season in the Mid-American Conference.

Bob Boldon can start Taylor Agler along with Quiera Lampkins

Coach Bob Boldon wasn’t sure of how the starting lineup would look heading into Ohio’s game against High Point.

Yamonie Jenkins and Jasmine Weatherspoon were sure to start, but with Lampkins not healthy, the rest of the lineup was uncertain.

Agler showed her ability to play the shooting guard well, she shot 50 percent from the floor and scored 15 points. Agler is solid at driving to the basket, which complements Jenkins’ similar skill set well.

When Lampkins returns, Boldon could have a starting lineup of Jenkins, Agler, Lampkins, Hannah Boesinger and Weatherspoon that is certain to open the floor for as many threes as possible.

Ohio’s 3-point shooting has a chance to be better than last season

Ohio shot 30.7 percent from the three-point line last season, ranking No. 8 in the Mid-American Conference. In its game against High Point, Ohio shot 44 percent from three.

The Bobcats moved the ball well against the Panthers’ defense, as five players shot over 30 percent from 3-point line. The Bobcats went 6-of-7 from the 3-point line in the second quarter.

“I thought once we settled down, we moved the ball pretty well,” Boldon said after the game.

Boldon said Ohio played stagnant at times, but he knows the players will improve on moving the ball to where it needs to be as the season goes.

The Bobcat bench and defense has the potential to be one of the best in the MAC

Along with its potent offense, Ohio’s defense was dominant as well. The Bobcats forced the Panthers to commit 20 turnovers, and they totaled 12 steals.

Agler and Jenkins led the way for the Bobcats in steals, totaling four and three, respectively.

“I thought we guarded pretty well,” Boldon said. “I thought we guarded a couple of their plays pretty well. It’s something we take a lot of pride in.”

High Point shot 26.2 percent from the field, and it shot 13.3 percent from the 3-point line.

In addition to Ohio’s defense, Ohio’s bench has the potential to be one of the best in the MAC. Ohio scored 26 bench points, with Katie Barker and Amani Burke being key contributors. Barker and Burke each scored nine points.

Ohio’s bench play will be valuable, especially near the end of the season. If Boldon is looking for a spark, he now knows players like Burke and Barker can produce off the bench.

@CameronFields_

cf710614@ohio.edu